32.2990, Why We Do a Fund Drive

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Sep 21 22:35:49 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-2990. Tue Sep 21 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.2990, Why We Do a Fund Drive

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Joshua Sims <joshua at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 18:35:15
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Why We Do a Fund Drive

WHY WE DO A FUND DRIVE

If you’re a longtime subscriber, you are probably well accustomed to LINGUIST
List’s annual Fund Drive. For those of you who are newer, we wanted to take
the time to explain what the Fund Drive is and why we do it!

What is the Fund Drive?
Our annual Fund Drive is a celebration of LINGUIST List’s vibrant community as
well as a way to ensure that we can keep this service going for another year.
We will feature stories from both professional linguists (the Featured
Linguist stories) as well as up-and-coming student linguists (Rising Star
stories) that highlight themes from the past year. This year’s theme is Silver
Linings of the past year in the midst of the pandemic. We will also feature
the sometimes humorous ‘Fun Facts’, as well as stories from ‘behind-the
scenes’ here at LINGUIST List. We hope you’ll enjoy getting to connect with
both your fellow subscribers and the LINGUIST List team through this content.

Why do we need to do a Fund Drive?
LINGUIST List is a nonprofit that has served the global linguistic community
for over 30 years now. We are hosted by Indiana University and staffed by
seven graduate student Editors and our Faculty Moderator, Malgorzata Cavar.
LINGUIST List reviews, verifies, and edits each and every post to ensure it is
relevant, informative, and reliable. We work hard to make sure that our
service brings value to our subscribers, and to protect our community against
spam and predatory posts.

Without the support from our jobs at LINGUIST List, we seven graduate students
would not be able to continue our studies. You’ll hear more about the impact
that our work at LINGUIST List has had on our individual lives and stories in
the coming weeks. When you give to LINGUIST List, you are supporting the work
that we Editors, the Admin and the WebDev do (both our work for LINGUIST List
and our linguistic studies). You’re also supporting the maintenance and upkeep
of the technology which keeps the List up and running. It has always been free
to subscribe to LINGUIST List, and it is our goal that it will always remain
so! Your contributions help keep LINGUIST List free, as well as ensure that we
are able to continue providing the high-quality content you’ve come to expect.

Contributions are tax-deductible and 100% of contributions go towards
supporting our Editors and technology-related costs!

If you’re able, we hope you’ll consider supporting LINGUIST List this year.
Any amount is helpful and appreciated! And a big thank you to all those who
have regularly supported us throughout the years – we would not have made it
to 32 years without you!

Disclaimer:
The Indiana University Foundation solicits tax-deductible private
contributions for the benefit of Indiana University and is registered to
solicit charitable contributions in all states requiring registration. For our
full disclosure statement, see  go.iu.edu/29UK.

By providing your email address on the crowdfunding campaign website, you are
opting in to receive emails from Indiana University. If you do not wish to
receive emails from Indiana University please make a note in the comment field
of the form.