33.3692, Books: Fundamental Principles of Corpus Linguistics: McEnery, Brezina

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Dec 2 19:44:18 UTC 2022

LINGUIST List: Vol-33-3692. Thu Dec 01 2022. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 33.3692, Books: Fundamental Principles of Corpus Linguistics: McEnery, Brezina

Moderators:

Editor for this issue: Maria Lucero Guillen Puon <luceroguillen at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2022 18:37:17
From: Ellena Moriarty [ellena.moriarty at cambridge.org]

Title: Fundamental Principles of Corpus Linguistics
Publication Year: 2022
Publisher: Cambridge University Press
	   http://www.cambridge.org/linguistics

Book URL: https://www.cambridge.org/us/academic/subjects/languages-linguistics/applied-linguistics-and-second-language-acquisition/fundamental-principles-corpus-linguistics?format=HB

Author: Tony McEnery
Author: Vaclav Brezina

Hardback: ISBN:  9781107046696 Pages:  Price: U.S. $ 110.00
Hardback: ISBN:  9781107046696 Pages:  Price: U.K. £ 85.00
Hardback: ISBN:  9781107046696 Pages:  Price: Europe EURO 99.20

Abstract:

How might evidence of language use – writing and speech – be used as a way of
studying language? Corpus linguistics is the study of linguistic data from a
particular language or set of languages. It is a fast-moving approach to
studying language, and there is still a degree of divergence in how research
questions are approached using corpus data. This book uses a framework, based
on the work of Karl Popper, to explore a number of fundamental issues in
corpus linguistics. It critically evaluates how these issues are tackled, and
proposes a set of best practices for future research. It spells out why using
corpus data is valuable, what we can learn from using it, and how we may most
effectively progress our understanding of language by using such data. It is
essential reading for researchers and students of language in general, and of
applied linguistics and English language in particular.

Preface; Introduction; 1. The first sketch; 2. What is science?; 3. How to do
science?; 4. What is social science and the digital humanities?; 5. Everyday
linguistics: form and function; 6. Repetition and replication: laying the
groundwork for an empirical study; 7. Replication: carrying out an empirical
study; 8. Conclusion; Appendix 1; Appendix 2.

                     Language Acquisition

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=165293

 The 2022 Fund Drive is under way! Please visit https://funddrive.linguistlist.org