33.3908, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Research and Teaching Position in Computational Linguistics, Saarland University

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Dec 15 21:40:34 UTC 2022

LINGUIST List: Vol-33-3908. Thu Dec 15 2022. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 33.3908, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Research and Teaching Position in Computational Linguistics, Saarland University

Moderators:

Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 21:40:13
From: Alexander Koller [koller at coli.uni-saarland.de]
Subject: Computational Linguistics: Research and Teaching Position in Computational Linguistics, Saarland University, Saarbrücken, Germany

University or Organization: Saarland University
Department: Language Science and Technology
Job Location: Saarbrücken, Germany
Web Address: https://www.uni-saarland.de/en/department/lst.html
Job Title: Research and Teaching Position in Computational Linguistics
Job Rank: Post Doc

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

We are looking to fill a research and teaching position in computational
linguistics at the Department of Language Science and Technology at Saarland
University. The position is part of the research group of Prof. Alexander
Koller, but offers great flexibility in developing your own research and
teaching agenda, and collaborations with other research groups are encouraged.

The position is flexible with respect to topic, but it should connect
thematically with current topics of interest to the research group. These
include syntactic and semantic parsing, semantics, dialogue, and natural
language generation; themes of particular interest are currently user
adaptation in interactive NLP and neurosymbolic models. You should have
expertise in neural and/or linguistically principled methods in computational
linguistics and be willing to take an active role in shaping the research and
teaching environment of the department.

The position includes a teaching load of up to four hours per week in the BSc
Computational Linguistics (in German) and/or the MSc Language Science and
Technology (in English). Both programs attract excellent and highly motivated
students; it is not unusual for our students to publish papers at
peer-reviewed conferences before graduation. The MSc students in particular
are a very international crowd, with two thirds joining us from abroad. You
will typically teach two seminars per semester on topics of your choice, which
will allow you to motivate students to do BSc and MSc theses under your
supervision.

This is a position on the German TV-L E13 scale (100% position at the postdoc
level; 75% position at the PhD student level). The starting salary of a 100%
TV-L E13 position is a bit over 50,000 Euros per year and increases with
experience. The initial appointment will be for three years; the position can
be extended up to the limits of the German law for academic contracts
(WissZeitVG). The starting date is April 1 or later: We want to fill the
position in 2023, but could leave it open beyond April for the ideal
candidate.

Requirements:
We are looking for candidates who have finished, or are about to complete, an
excellent PhD degree (at the postdoc level) or MSc degree (at the PhD student
level) in computational linguistics, computer science, or a related
discipline. You must be proficient in English (spoken and written); the
ability to teach in German is a plus.

Priority will be given to applicants at the postdoc level, who should have
demonstrated their research expertise through high-quality publications.
However, we will also consider applicants at the PhD student level.

For more information, please see the application link below.

Application Deadline: 22-Jan-2023

Web Address for Applications: https://www.coli.uni-saarland.de/~koller/page.php?id=jobs
Contact Information:
	Alexander Koller