33.3917, Books: Emergent phonology: Archangeli, Pulleyblank

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Dec 19 02:50:09 UTC 2022

LINGUIST List: Vol-33-3917. Mon Dec 19 2022. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 33.3917, Books: Emergent phonology: Archangeli, Pulleyblank

Moderators:

Editor for this issue: Maria Lucero Guillen Puon <luceroguillen at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 02:50:00
From: Sebastian Nordhoff [Sebastian.Nordhoff at langsci-press.org]
Subject: Emergent phonology: Archangeli, Pulleyblank

Title: Emergent phonology
Series Title: Conceptual Foundations of Language Science

Publication Year: 2022
Publisher: Language Science Press
	   http://langsci-press.org

Book URL: https://langsci-press.org/catalog/book/320

Author: Diana Archangeli
Author: Douglas Pulleyblank

Electronic: ISBN:  9783961103355 Pages: 193 Price: Europe EURO 0 Comment: Open Access

Abstract:

To what extent do complex phonological patterns require the postulation of
universal mechanisms specific to language? In this volume, we explore the
Emergent Hypothesis, that the innate language-specific faculty driving the
shape of adult grammars is minimal, with grammar development relying instead
on cognitive capacities of a general nature. Generalisations about sounds, and
about the way sounds are organised into meaningful units, are constructed in a
bottom-up fashion: As such, phonology is emergent.

We present arguments for considering the Emergent Hypothesis, both
conceptually and by working through an extended example in order to
demonstrate how an adult grammar might emerge from the input encountered by a
learner.  Developing a concrete, data-driven approach, we argue that the
conventional, abstract notion of unique underlying representations is
unmotivated; such underlying representations would require some innate
principle to ensure their postulation by a learner. We review the history of
the concept and show that such postulated forms result in undesirable
phonological consequences. We work through several case studies to illustrate
how various types of phonological patterns might be accounted for in the
proposed framework. The case studies illustrate patterns of allophony, of
productive and unproductive patterns of alternation, and cases where the
surface manifestation of a feature does not seem to correspond to its
morphological source. We consider cases where a phonetic distinction that is
binary seems to manifest itself in a way that is morphologically ternary, and
we consider cases where underlying representations of considerable
abstractness have been posited in previous frameworks. We also consider cases
of opacity, where observed phonological properties do not neatly map onto the
phonological generalisations governing patterns of alternation.

Linguistic Field(s): Phonology

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=166453

 The 2022 Fund Drive is under way! Please visit https://funddrive.linguistlist.org