33.3370, Fund Drive: Happy Halloween!

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Nov 1 00:56:09 UTC 2022

LINGUIST List: Vol-33-3370. Tue Nov 01 2022. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 33.3370, Fund Drive: Happy Halloween!

Moderators:

Editor for this issue: Joshua Sims <joshua at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2022 00:55:41
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Fund Drive: Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween! We at the Linguist List would like to say thank you to
everyone who has contributed to our 2022 fund drive so far. We have a long
tradition of sharing a humorous post during our fund drive each year. Please
help us keep this tradition alive and donate at
funddrive.linguistlist.org/donate!

Among the tricks and treats we come across in linguistics, complicated
grammatical case systems can be particularly scary. To help, we have collected
a list of very real, non-farcical explanations of the names of various cases.

Nominative: named by some hungry linguistics grad students; when reduplicated,
known as the om-nom-nominative.

Accusative: Chomsky sneezed when naming this one; his graduate assistant
employed a creative spelling.

Essive: named by a grad student misinterpreting arguments labeled “S” in a
book of typology.

Adessive: the advice of a professor to a student whose paper failed to discuss
the essive case; see above.

Allative: named when a Hungarian linguist was asked how many cases Hungarian
has.

Dative: named by a hopeful grad student in the fifth year of a PhD.

Locative: named by a group of grad students who had five minutes to label a
case marking location.

Vocative: named by grad students in the same group who were even less
prepared.

Absolutive: named by a dual-major linguistics and fitness student.

Ergative: called for the noise made by syntax students who encounter it.

Instrumental: origins unknown. Hey, what did the Polish musician do with his
clarinet? He put it in the instrumental case!

Benefactive: Refers to our generous benefactors who donate at
funddrive.linguistlist.org/donate. Thank you and Happy Halloween!

 The 2022 Fund Drive is under way! Please visit https://funddrive.linguistlist.org