33.3434, Summer Schools: Researching Family Multilingualism: Theoretical and methodological approaches / Norway

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Nov 4 00:31:10 UTC 2022

LINGUIST List: Vol-33-3434. Fri Nov 04 2022. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 33.3434, Summer Schools:  Researching Family Multilingualism: Theoretical and methodological approaches / Norway

Moderators:

Editor for this issue: Sarah Goldfinch <sgoldfinch at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2022 00:31:01
From: Seyed Hadi Mirvahedi [seyedam at uio.no]

Researching Family Multilingualism: Theoretical and methodological approaches

Host Institution:
Website: https://www.uio.no/studier/emner/hf/iln/HFILN9085/v23.html

Dates: 27-Feb-2023 - 03-Mar-2023
Location: Oslo, Oslo, Norway

Focus: Learning outcomes

On completion of the course, the PhD candidate will:

- be able to discuss and understand current theoretical and methodological approaches to research on family multilingualism in diverse settings and different family types
- be familiar with the contributions of discourse analysis, interactional sociolinguistics, and linguistic ethnography as methodological approaches to researching family multilingualism
- be able to evaluate and critically analyze theoretical concepts and methodologies employed in research on family multilingualism
- be able to identify elements of an ethically grounded, reflective practice for language research on families
- be able to present their own research, and engage in discussion of their peer’s research
- be able to apply insights, techniques and ethical concerns gained from this course to future research and teaching practice.
Minimum Education Level: MA

Special Qualifications:
The course is designed for PhD students

Sociolinguistic research on family multilingualism seeks to understand the
dynamic interrelation between caregivers’ decision-making and practices with
respect to language use in the family, child agency, child language
acquisition, and institutional policies outside the home. The 2023 Winter
School focuses on bi/multilingual families as a complex and dynamic space
whose norms are informed both by family-internal factors and home-external
affordances, including technological developments supporting digital
communication, and constraints. Our aim is to address and provide a critical
approach to multilingualism in diverse family types from various perspectives,
examining how, and why, bi/multilingual families in diverse settings negotiate
and/or navigate bi/multilingualism in the family. Additionally, we will
explore multiple methodological lenses, including discourse analysis,
interactional sociolinguistics, and ethnographic fieldwork, in researching
family multilingualism. In this way, we aim to support PhD researchers with
varied data, analytic methods, and interests.

Tuition: 0 EURO

Registration: 15-Nov-2022 to 15-Dec-2022

Contact Person: Seyed Hadi Mirvahedi
                Email: seyedam at uio.no

Registration Instructions:

 The 2022 Fund Drive is under way! Please visit https://funddrive.linguistlist.org