33.3459, A Day without the Linguist List

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat Nov 5 23:07:35 UTC 2022

LINGUIST List: Vol-33-3459. Sat Nov 05 2022. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 33.3459, A Day without the Linguist List

Moderators:

Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2022 23:07:21
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: A Day without the Linguist List

Hello, Linguists!

We hope your weekend is going well.

Firstly, we want to thank everyone who has donated so far to this year’s Fund
Drive. We greatly appreciate your generosity. However, we are still far short
of our goal of $40,000.

When LINGUIST List first started as a mailing list in 1993, there was a strong
sense of responsibility amongst our small community. We received many
donations from the community, which allowed us to continue our operation to
the present day. However, with the changes in technology, many people no
longer use our mailing list to get our updates and instead use our website.
While we’re grateful to have had the opportunity to expand, this means that
our community is less close-knit and many don’t feel a responsibility to
contribute. As a result, we receive fewer and fewer donations each year. Even
though we are hosted by a public university, the donations we receive
demonstrate to our host that we are a vital resource for the community, as
well as provide for a significant portion of our yearly budget.

This year, our situation is particularly precarious, as our costs of operation
have risen dramatically. In July, Indiana University raised the salaries for
our eight Graduate Assistant Editors, and while this was a necessary decision,
this also means that LINGUIST List operations became more expensive.
Additionally, we decided to remove Google ads from the site, at least
temporarily. While improving readers' experience with the website, this will
also leave a tangible gap in our budget.

The LINGUIST List has always been a free resource, and we are committed to
keeping it so. Many of us have found our jobs through The LINGUIST List; many
have found opportunities to collaborate because of conferences we heard about
from The LINGUIST List; many have benefitted from advice or discussions on The
LINGUIST List’s forums. For over thirty years, The LINGUIST List has promoted
and supported the global linguistics community. However, without your
donation, there is a real danger that The LINGUIST list will no longer be able
to continue as it has been.

There will be a temporary site blackout for 24 hours on Tuesday, November 8.
We will resume normal operations on Wednesday, November 9. While we understand
that this is an inconvenience, we hope that it will save our community the
much greater inconvenience of a world in which The LINGUIST List no longer
exists.

If you value the LINGUIST List and want the LINGUIST List to continue, please
consider a donation, even if it is only a few dollars. If you don’t support
the LINGUIST List, are you sure that somebody else will do it?

Donate today at:  https://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

 The 2022 Fund Drive is under way! Please visit https://funddrive.linguistlist.org