33.3465, Calls: Computational Linguistics/USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sun Nov 6 03:13:12 UTC 2022

LINGUIST List: Vol-33-3465. Sun Nov 06 2022. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 33.3465, Calls: Computational Linguistics/USA

Moderators:

Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 03:12:29
From: Atticus Harrigan [galvin at ualberta.ca]
Subject: Justice through Technology

Full Title: Justice through Technology

Date: 05-Mar-2023 - 05-Mar-2023
Location: Online, USA
Contact Person: Atticus Harrigan
Meeting Email: galvin at ualberta.ca
Web Site: https://computel-workshop.org/computel-6/special-theme-justice/

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics

Call Deadline: 14-Nov-2022

Meeting Description:

For full description, see
https://computel-workshop.org/computel-6/special-theme-justice/

Special Theme Session: Justice through Technology
In addition to the regular ComputEL-6 programming, this year we will be
hosting a special theme session discussion in concert with ICLDC8. In keeping
with the theme of ICLDC8, this Special Session at ComputEL-6 will focus on
''Justice through Technology''. The goal of this Special Theme Session is to
increase our shared understanding of how language technology can help, or
harm, the pursuit of social justice and equity.

Call for Papers:

We invite presentations that address two broad topics: (1) Justice in Data and
(2) Justice in Language Technology, within the context of endangered languages
and associated communities. Abstracts making reference to an endangered
language community should be co-authored with a member of the community.

1. Presentations addressing Justice in Data can engage questions such as:
What unique biases exist in data for endangered languages?
How can researchers ensure equity when collecting and disseminating data?
What role can (and should) equity play in data access rights?
What do social justice and equity look like in a researcher-community
partnership?
What are the key considerations in pursuing justice and equity when working
with an endangered language community?

2. Presentations that addressing Justice in Language Technology can engage
questions such as:
How can technologies address social justice and equity?
How can technologies support pluricentrism and how can this promote access and
social justice?
How do the goals and needs of researchers and endangered language communities
differ in their approaches to social justice and equity?
How can we address potential problems for equity and social justice related to
language technology?
In addition to these two topics, more general discussions on the ethics,
conception, and practical implementation of social justice through language
technology are invited. Ideal submissions should identify an issue and
evaluate possible solutions.

Submissions to the Special Theme Session
Please use the following link to submit your paper:
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=computel6
As with the regular session papers, the deadline for the special theme session
is November 14, 2022. Please submit anonymous abstracts of up to 1500 words,
excluding references. Submissions to this special theme session do not need to
conform to ACL Style guides, but must be submitted in PDF. Submissions with
participation from community members are strongly encouraged.

Important Dates:
14-November-2022: Deadline for submissions
20-January-2023: Notification of acceptance
10-February-2023: Camera-ready papers due
1-March-2023: Presentation uploads due
5 and 6-March-2023: Workshop

Contact - website and email
For further information, please consult our website:
https://computel-workshop.org/computel-6/
or email us at:
computel.workshop at gmail.com

For further information, see: https://computel-workshop.org/