33.3482, Books: Language and the Brain: Brennan

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Nov 7 15:49:22 UTC 2022

LINGUIST List: Vol-33-3482. Mon Nov 07 2022. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 33.3482, Books: Language and the Brain: Brennan

Moderators:

Editor for this issue: Maria Lucero Guillen Puon <luceroguillen at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2022 15:48:59
From: Tyler Simnick [Tyler.Simnick at oup.com]
Subject: Language and the Brain: Brennan

Title: Language and the Brain
Subtitle: A Slim Guide to Neurolinguistics
Publication Year: 2022
Publisher: Oxford University Press
	   http://www.oup.com/us

Book URL: https://global.oup.com/academic/product/language-and-the-brain-9780198814757?utm_source=linguistlist&utm_medium=listserv&utm_campaign=linguistics

Author: Jonathan R Brennan

Hardback: ISBN:  9780198814757 Pages: 224 Price: U.S. $ 50
Paperback: ISBN:  9780198814764 Pages: 224 Price: U.S. $ 20

Abstract:

This book introduces readers to the state-of-the-art neuroscientific research
that is revolutionizing our understanding of language. Interest in the brain
bases of language goes back to the birth of the modern neurosciences in the
late nineteenth century. Today, tools such as fMRI and EEG allow us to study
brain activity non-invasively as people perform complex cognitive tasks like
talking or reading. In this book, Jonathan Brennan shows how brain signals are
connected with the intricate cognitive structures that underlie human
language. Each chapter focuses on specific insights including the neural codes
for speech perception, meaning, and sentence structure. The book also explores
larger themes such as how to connect abstract notions like "knowing a
language" to concrete signals that are measured in a laboratory, and how to
reconcile apparently conflicting pieces of data that arise from different
experiments. Written in an accessible, conversational style, and featuring a
glossary of key terms, this slim guide will appeal to a wide range of readers
interested in how the human brain allows us to use language.

Linguistic Field(s): Neurolinguistics
                     Psycholinguistics

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=164093

 The 2022 Fund Drive is under way! Please visit https://funddrive.linguistlist.org