33.3520, Confs: Historical Linguistics/Germany

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat Nov 12 22:50:53 UTC 2022

LINGUIST List: Vol-33-3520. Sat Nov 12 2022. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 33.3520, Confs: Historical Linguistics/Germany

Moderators:

Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 22:50:35
From: Kerstin Majewski [Kerstin.Majewski at anglistik.uni-muenchen.de]
Subject: Historical English Word-Formation

Historical English Word-Formation

Date: 17-Feb-2023 - 18-Feb-2023
Location: Munich, Germany
Contact: Kerstin Majewski
Contact Email: Kerstin.Majewski at anglistik.uni-muenchen.de
Meeting URL: https://www.anglistik.uni-muenchen.de/abteilungen/sprachgeschichte/aktuelles/international-symposium-2023/index.html

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics

Meeting Description:

In its development from Old English to today, the English vocabulary underwent
a radical restructuring due to an enormous influx of (complex) lexemes from
Latin, Anglo-Norman, French, Greek, and other languages. Even though
historical linguistics has traced and investigated many aspects of the complex
mechanisms of language contact involved in all levels of language, studies on
historical word-formation are comparatively rare (cf., e.g., Kastovsky 1968
and 2007; Faiß 1992; Sauer 1992; Ciszek 2008; Fisiak/Bator 2013; see also
further below). For this reason, our 2023 symposium at Munich University
focuses on English word-formation from the earliest texts to the Late Modern
English period. We invite studies in Old, Middle, and/or Early and Late Modern
English with a specifically historical perspective, working with different
theoretical and methodological approaches – functional, semantic,
socio-pragmatic, sociolinguistic, cognitive, computational, etc.

Program:

The preliminary programme of the symposium ''Historical English
Word-Formation'' (17-18 February 2023 in Munich) is available at:
https://www.anglistik.uni-muenchen.de/abteilungen/sprachgeschichte/aktuelles/i
nternational-symposium-2023/hist-engl-wf_programme/index.html

REGISTRATION:
The registration period is from 4 November 2022 until 13 January 2023. To
register, please go to:
https://www.anglistik.uni-muenchen.de/abteilungen/sprachgeschichte/aktuelles/i
nternational-symposium-2023/registration/index.html

Detailed payment information will be sent to registered participants after 13
January 2023. Without previous payment, a participation in the symposium is
unfortunately not possible.

All information on the symposium can be found here:

 The 2022 Fund Drive is under way! Please visit https://funddrive.linguistlist.org