33.3543, Books: Dynamism in Metaphor and Beyond: Colston, Matlock, Steen (eds.)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Nov 14 22:11:11 UTC 2022

LINGUIST List: Vol-33-3543. Mon Nov 14 2022. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 33.3543, Books: Dynamism in Metaphor and Beyond: Colston, Matlock, Steen (eds.)

Moderators:

Editor for this issue: Maria Lucero Guillen Puon <luceroguillen at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 22:10:59
From: Karin Plijnaar [karin.plijnaar at benjamins.nl]

Title: Dynamism in Metaphor and Beyond
Series Title: Metaphor in Language, Cognition, and Communication   9

Publication Year: 2022
Publisher: John Benjamins
	   http://www.benjamins.com/

Book URL: https://benjamins.com/catalog/milcc.9

Editor: Herbert L. Colston
Editor: Teenie Matlock
Editor: Gerard J. Steen

Hardback: ISBN:  9789027211415 Pages:  Price: U.S. $ 149.00
Hardback: ISBN:  9789027211415 Pages:  Price: U.K. £ 83.00
Hardback: ISBN:  9789027211415 Pages:  Price: Europe EURO 104.94

Abstract:

The last half century witnessed an upheaval in scientific investigation of
human meaning-making and meaning-sharing. "Dynamism in Metaphor and Beyond",
is offered as a snapshot of the status of this multidisciplinary endeavor—a
peak under the umbrella of what Cognitive Linguistics, Psycholinguistics,
Figurative Language Studies and related fields have morphed into. This volume
honors Raymond W. Gibbs, who played no small role in this upheaval. The themes
and insights emerging from the chapters (i.e., among others, a need for
account integration, a new appreciation of the dynamic nature of figurative
[and all] meaning-making, a need for continued broadening of the communicative
techniques in our studied topics, greater attention to emotion, a deepened
appreciation of social motivations and psychological processes involved, etc.)
may guide us in our continued grappling with meaning-making and
meaning-sharing, via metaphor, through figurative language, and via other
communicative phenomena associated with them.

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science
                     Psycholinguistics

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=164713

 The 2022 Fund Drive is under way! Please visit https://funddrive.linguistlist.org