33.3565, Books: Multilingualism and Gendered Immigrant Identity: Ali

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Nov 15 18:25:03 UTC 2022

LINGUIST List: Vol-33-3565. Tue Nov 15 2022. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 33.3565, Books: Multilingualism and Gendered Immigrant Identity: Ali

Moderators:

Editor for this issue: Maria Lucero Guillen Puon <luceroguillen at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 18:24:36
From: Flo McClelland [flo at multilingual-matters.com]

 Title: Multilingualism and Gendered Immigrant Identity
Subtitle: Perspectives from Catalonia
Series Title: Multilingual Matters

Publication Year: 2022
Publisher: Multilingual Matters
	   http://www.multilingual-matters.com/

Book URL: https://www.multilingual-matters.com/page/detail/?k=9781800412064

Author: Farah Ali

Hardback: ISBN:  9781800412071 Pages: 176 Price: U.S. $ 129.95
Hardback: ISBN:  9781800412071 Pages: 176 Price: U.K. £ 89.95
Paperback: ISBN:  9781800412064 Pages: 176 Price: U.S. $ 34.95
Paperback: ISBN:  9781800412064 Pages: 176 Price: U.K. £ 24.95

Abstract:

This book examines the intersectionality of gendered, religious identity among
Muslim women in Catalonia, and illustrates how this identity is brokered
through language use in a multilingual and diasporic context. Drawing on a
mixed methods study of 1st and 2nd generation immigrant women, this book also
examines how acculturation is a transgenerational process reflected in
linguistic behavior. Through the use of questionnaire and interview data, the
author constructs a story about informants’ experiences navigating life
vis-à-vis language use; specifically through the use of Spanish, Catalan and
native/heritage languages. This book offers a unique lens through which we can
further our understanding of the role of language in the acculturation process
in Catalonia. It adds to the ongoing discussion about language and migration
in Catalonia and provides a valuable contribution to debates about immigrant
women’s language learning and use.

                     Language Documentation

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=164813

 The 2022 Fund Drive is under way! Please visit https://funddrive.linguistlist.org