33.3589, Books: Visual Metaphors: Benczes, Szelid (eds.)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Nov 16 17:46:58 UTC 2022

LINGUIST List: Vol-33-3589. Wed Nov 16 2022. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 33.3589, Books: Visual Metaphors: Benczes, Szelid (eds.)

Moderators:

Editor for this issue: Maria Lucero Guillen Puon <luceroguillen at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 17:46:40
From: Karin Plijnaar [karin.plijnaar at benjamins.nl]
Subject: Visual Metaphors: Benczes, Szelid (eds.)

Title: Visual Metaphors
Series Title: Benjamins Current Topics   124

Publication Year: 2022
Publisher: John Benjamins
	   http://www.benjamins.com/

Book URL: https://benjamins.com/catalog/bct.124

Editor: Réka Benczes
Editor: Veronika Szelid

Electronic: ISBN:  9789027257406 Pages:  Price: U.S. $ 143.00
Electronic: ISBN:  9789027257406 Pages:  Price: U.K. £ 80.00
Electronic: ISBN:  9789027257406 Pages:  Price: Europe EURO 95.00
Hardback: ISBN:  9789027211606 Pages:  Price: U.S. $ 143.00
Hardback: ISBN:  9789027211606 Pages:  Price: U.K. £ 80.00
Hardback: ISBN:  9789027211606 Pages:  Price: Europe EURO 100.70

Abstract:

Whenever we think about the world – including its concrete and abstract
entities – we typically see a series of so-called mental images in front of
our eyes that aid us in everyday problem solving and navigating ourselves in
the world. Visual metaphors, similarly to their linguistic counterparts,
largely build on such images. Nevertheless, the interplay of
metaphorical/metonymical text and imagery is not necessarily (and not usually)
straightforward and raises complex theoretical and methodological questions.
The eleven chapters in this collection address a wide range of such
challenges, such as what are visual metaphors in the first place; how can they
be identified; what is their relationship to linguistic metaphors; what are
their most common manifestations; what knowledge structures are required for
their interpretation; and how do they interact with metonymies. The studies
cut across linguistics, politics, philosophy, poetry, art and history –
highlighting the ubiquitous role that visual metaphor plays in everyday life
and conceptualizations. Originally published as special issue of "Cognitive
Linguistic Studies" 7:1 (2020).

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science
                     Syntax

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=164953

 The 2022 Fund Drive is under way! Please visit https://funddrive.linguistlist.org