33.3592, Books: The Oxford Handbook of Lying: Meibauer (ed.)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Nov 16 22:41:53 UTC 2022

LINGUIST List: Vol-33-3592. Wed Nov 16 2022. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 33.3592, Books: The Oxford Handbook of Lying: Meibauer (ed.)

Moderators:

Editor for this issue: Maria Lucero Guillen Puon <luceroguillen at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 22:41:11
From: Tyler Simnick [Tyler.Simnick at oup.com]
Subject: The Oxford Handbook of Lying: Meibauer (ed.)

Title: The Oxford Handbook of Lying
Series Title: Oxford Handbooks

Publication Year: 2022
Publisher: Oxford University Press
	   http://www.oup.com/us

Book URL: https://global.oup.com/academic/product/the-oxford-handbook-of-lying-9780192863379?utm_source=linguistlist&utm_medium=listserv&utm_campaign=linguistics

Editor: Jörg Meibauer

Paperback: ISBN:  9780192863379 Pages: 688 Price: U.S. $ 50

Abstract:

Editor’s Note: This is a new edition of a previously announced title.

This handbook brings together past and current research on all aspects of
lying and deception, with chapters
contributed by leading international experts in the field. We are confronted
daily with cases of lying, deception, bullshitting, and 'fake news', making it
imperative to understand how lying works, how it can be defined, and whether
it can be detected. A further important issue is whether lying should always
be considered a bad thing or if, in some cases, it is simply a useful
instrument of human cognition. This volume is the first to offer a
comprehensive and up-to-date exploration of these and other issues from the
combined perspectives of linguistics, philosophy, and psychology. Chapters
offer precise definitions of lying and its subtypes, and outline the range of
fields in which lying and deception play a role, from empirical lie detection
and the acquisition of lying to its role in fiction, metaphor, and humour.
They also describe the tools and approaches that are used by scholars
researching lying and deception, such as questionnaire studies, EEG,
neuroimaging, and the polygraph.

The volume will be an essential reference for students and researchers in a
range of fields who are looking to deepen their understanding of all aspects
of lying and deception, and will contribute to establishing the vibrant new
field of interdisciplinary lying research.

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis
                     General Linguistics
                     Semantics

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=163814

 The 2022 Fund Drive is under way! Please visit https://funddrive.linguistlist.org