33.3633, Jobs: Spanish; Sociolinguistics: Assistant Professor in the field of Hispanic Linguistics, Queens College (CUNY)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Nov 22 22:41:00 UTC 2022

LINGUIST List: Vol-33-3633. Tue Nov 22 2022. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 33.3633, Jobs: Spanish; Sociolinguistics: Assistant Professor in the field of Hispanic Linguistics, Queens College (CUNY)

Moderators:

Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 22:40:13
From: Michael Newman [michael.newman at qc.cuny.edu]
Subject: Spanish; Sociolinguistics: Assistant Professor in the field of Hispanic Linguistics, Queens College (CUNY), New York, NY, USA

University or Organization: Queens College (CUNY)
Department: Hispanic Languages and Literatures
Job Location: New York, USA
Web Address: https://www.qc.cuny.edu/academics/hll/
Job Title: Assistant Professor in the field of Hispanic Linguistics
Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Sociolinguistics; Heritage Speakers, Second Language Acquisition.

Required Language(s): Spanish (spa)

Job ID: 25874

The Department of Hispanic Languages and Literatures invites applications for
a tenure-track appointment at the level of Assistant Professor in the field of
Hispanic Linguistics to begin Fall 2023. We are interested in candidates whose
research focuses on any, or a combination, of the following fields:
sociolinguistics, Spanish as a heritage language, or second language
acquisition. We seek candidates with a strong scholarly background, who are
committed to excellence in undergraduate and graduate teaching and identify
with the mission of Queens College and the City University of New York (CUNY).

The College is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the
diversity and excellence of the academic community through their teaching and
other assigned duties. Candidates with training in language pedagogy are
especially encouraged to apply. The person appointed will teach (i)
introductory, intermediate, and advanced courses in Spanish language and
linguistics; (ii) elective courses for Spanish majors and minors; and (iii)
coordinate the Department’s language program and curriculum. The basic
teaching load for faculty is 3/3, and the untenured period includes
significant reassigned time for research. Work spent on administrative duties,
such as language coordination, reduces teaching load.

The successful applicant is expected to:
 - Maintain an active research agenda and to participate in the Department’s
advising and service responsibilities.
 - Perform teaching, research, and guidance duties in area(s) of expertise.
 - Share responsibility for committee and department assignments, including
administrative, supervisory, and other functions.

Qualifications:
Ph.D. degree in Hispanic Linguistics. Demonstrated evidence of high-quality
research and teaching. Native or near-native fluency in Spanish and English.
Grant application experience and support for educational initiatives is also
desirable.

CUNY offers a competitive compensation and benefits package to its faculty,
covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental
leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for
research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing
faculty professional development.

Please apply via the application link below.

Please note that the candidates must upload a cover letter describing related
qualifications and experience, resume, and the name and contact information of
three (3) professional references in any of the following formats: .docx, or
.pdf format. Please use a simple name for the document.

Application Deadline: 17-Jan-2023

Web Address for Applications: https://cuny.jobs/queens-ny/assistant-professor-hispanic-languages-and-literatures/37C8F87473514B5E9A3739AA977EC02C/job/
Contact Information
	Search Committee