33.3144, Calls: General Linguistics/USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat Oct 15 20:56:47 UTC 2022

LINGUIST List: Vol-33-3144. Sat Oct 15 2022. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 33.3144, Calls: General Linguistics/USA

Moderators:

Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 20:56:03
From: Savithry Namboodiripad [savithry at umich.edu]
Subject: (formal) Approaches to South Asian Languages 13

Full Title: (formal) Approaches to South Asian Languages 13
Short Title: (f)ASAL 13

Date: 21-Apr-2023 - 23-Apr-2023
Location: Online and Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Contact Person: Savithry Namboodiripad
Meeting Email: fasalconf13 at gmail.com
Web Site: https://sites.google.com/umich.edu/fasal-13/home

Call Deadline: 19-Dec-2022

Meeting Description:

The (formal) Approaches to South Asian Languages [(f)ASAL] conference is the
main North American venue dedicated to the presentation and discussion of
linguistic research on South Asian languages.

The 13th (f)ASAL will be hosted by the Department of Linguistics at the
University of Michigan from April 21-23, 2023. The special theme is ''language
contact and multilingualism.'' As such, along with welcoming abstracts
concerning the linguistic analysis and/or description of South Asian languages
and/or language use in South Asia, spoken or signed, we especially encourage
submissions which investigate or center the multilingualism pervasive amongst
language users and communities in South Asia, as well as the linguistic
outcomes of various contexts of language contact. We welcome submissions
across theoretical approaches, methods, and levels of linguistic analysis. We
also encourage students and early career scholars to submit.

The event will be held synchronously online, and, depending on interest and
safety concerns, in person participation may be a possibility. As an attempt
to accommodate participants who may be joining from Indian Standard Time as
well as in North America, the conference will take place over three days, from
8 AM to 12 or 1 PM Michigan time (roughly 5:30 PM to midnight Indian Standard
Time). All talks will be live-captioned, and conference registrants will be
asked about how best the local organizers can support their online or in
person participation.

Invited Speakers
Dr. Sakshi Bhatia (University of New Delhi)
Dr. Rakesh Bhatt (University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign)
Dr. Bhim Lal Gautam (Tribhuvan University)
Dr. Sonia Das (New York University)

Call for Papers:

We invite submissions for 20-minute or 5-minute presentations (the latter in
lieu of a traditional poster session).

In order to support reviewers as they evaluate, successful abstracts should
include:

- a clearly stated research question, contextualized within a theoretical
approach and/or disciplinary context
- relevant data or examples, and, if applicable, a description of the methods
used
- an interpretation or analysis, even if it is in progress

We ask that abstracts be limited to two single-spaced pages (A4 or US Letter)
with 2.5 cm (1-inch) margins and a minimum font size of 11 pt. A third page
can include references, large graphs, tables, pictures, and/or figures, but,
please do not include any other text other than short captions with figures.
Abstracts must be anonymous.

In order to increase participation, authors may be involved in at most two
abstracts and may be the sole author of at most one abstract for the entire
conference.

Call for papers: https://easychair.org/cfp/fASAL13
Submission link: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=fasal13

 The 2022 Fund Drive is under way! Please visit https://funddrive.linguistlist.org