33.3150, Confs: Applied Linguistics, Language Acquisition/Italy

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat Oct 15 22:19:42 UTC 2022

LINGUIST List: Vol-33-3150. Sat Oct 15 2022. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 33.3150, Confs: Applied Linguistics, Language Acquisition/Italy

Moderators:

Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 22:19:03
From: Chiara Bruzzano [chiara at languaged.org]
Subject: LanguagEd Day

LanguagEd Day

Date: 27-Nov-2022 - 27-Nov-2022
Location: Online - Zoom, Italy
Contact: Chiara Bruzzano
Contact Email: chiara at languaged.org
Meeting URL: https://www.languaged.org/day/

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition

Meeting Description:

Join us for a day of practical webinars on language teaching on 27 November.
Topics range from lesson planning to assessment, teenagers, speaking and
listening skills.

Program:

Welcome! LanguagEd, concorsi and projects: where we are and where we’re going
(9.15-9.30)

 Chiara Bruzzano

What have we achieved and what's in stock for the future? Join me for the
start to an exciting day together!

Mixing Frameworks and Methods: Lesson Planning… with a Twist! (9.30-10.15)

 Rachel Tsateri

When we start teaching, we usually stick to one lesson framework, for example
PPP (Presentation-Practice-Production). We do that because we want to have a
safe structure and a guide for planning and teaching. However, do we know for
sure that this framework also works for our learners? If you've been teaching
for at least one year, why not explore more methods and approaches, select
different techniques and activities and create your own personalised lesson
framework? Join me in my webinar for some practical examples!

Getting Teenagers Talking: Speaking Tasks for Low and Mixed Ability Classes
(10.30-11.15)

 Sarah Priestley

This session will examine some simple but engaging activities and techniques
for English teachers to use to get their teenagers talking. There will be a
closer focus on how they can be used in lower level classes and those with
mixed ability. Sarah will share classroom ideas that she has tried and refined
over the years. As well as discussing the benefits of these activities,
possible problems and solutions will also be examined. Teachers will leave the
session with a clearer understanding of how to make a speaking activity more
communicative for lower and differing levels of teenage learners and practical
ways to do this in their own classrooms.  Teachers won’t need a photocopier
but they will need imagination!

“Teacher, I Don’t Understand!”: Do’s, Don’ts and Technology for Engaging
Listening Activities (11.30-12.15)

 Chiara Bruzzano

“Teacher, they speak too fast!”; “I didn’t understand anything”; “that accent
is too difficult!”: do these sound familiar? If your students also struggle
with listening, come along to my session, where I’ll discuss what Italian
teachers and learners say about listening, give you some guidelines for
designing effective listening activities and demonstrate how to use some
simple tech tools to make your listening engaging and interactive.

Lunch break

101 Low-Prep Ideas for Exploiting Coursebook Activities (14.00-15.15)

  Sandy Millin

Do you use coursebooks, but think that your lessons aren't meeting your
learners' needs, or aren't engaging their interest enough? Do you spend hours
planning your lessons? In this session I'll show you that you don’t need to
spend a lot of time creating new materials or adapting the materials you have
to meet your learners’ needs. You'll take away a wide range of simple ideas
(maybe not quite 101!) which will enrich your lessons and increase the range
of ideas in your teaching toolkit.

Speaking Better, Teaching Better: Introducing the LanguagEd Conversation
Classes for Teachers (15.30-16.15)

Chiara Bruzzano, André Hedlund, Sylvia Provenzano and Rachel Tsateri

Do you sometimes wish you were a more fluent English speaker? Would you like
to improve your speaking, work on your grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation,
all while developing as a teacher? Then our new, exciting project may be just
for you: from 2023, LanguagEd are proud to present a new series of online
speaking lessons with our trainers! You’ll be able to meet new colleagues from
around Italy, practise your speaking, discuss some interesting teaching topics
(like how to teach grammar and how to manage students’ behaviour) and get
personalised feedback from our trainers. Come along to our session to find out
all about the new Speaking Better, Teaching Better courses!

Making Visible Learning through Aims, Assessment, and Outcomes (16.30-17.15)

 André Hedlund

How can teachers make sure their students are learning the contents and skills
they have to in the classroom? The keyword is evidence. Teachers must collect
evidence from their students to be able to make claims

 The 2022 Fund Drive is under way! Please visit https://funddrive.linguistlist.org