33.3230, Confs: General Linguistics/USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Oct 25 03:01:53 UTC 2022

LINGUIST List: Vol-33-3230. Tue Oct 25 2022. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 33.3230, Confs: General Linguistics/USA

Moderators:

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 02:43:17
From: Mirva Johnson [mjohnson52 at wisc.edu]
Subject: 13th Annual Workshop on Immigrant Languages in the Americas

13th Annual Workshop on Immigrant Languages in the Americas
Short Title: WILA13

Date: 10-Nov-2022 - 12-Nov-2022
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Contact: Joe Salmons
Contact Email: jsalmons at wisc.edu
Meeting URL: http://www.workshoponimmigrantlanguages.org/wila-13.html

The Workshop on Immigrant Languages in the Americas is an annual conference
focused on heritage language research, broadly understood. WILA began in 2010
as a conference on ''Investigating Immigrant Languages in America'' at the
University of Wisconsin – Madison. Since then, host universities have
alternated between the United States and Europe. Research on migrant and
heritage languages includes work on bilingual grammars, social correlates of
language, factors that drive language transmission and loss, and historical
and political factors. Since its inception, WILA has stressed that range and
worked to increase cross-linguistic comparisons of all sorts, including
different languages / dialects, different contact settings and different
historical periods up to the present. The theme of WILA13 is comparative
research. Submissions on this theme are especially welcome but work on
heritage languages from other perspectives is likewise welcome. Please read
the description on the conference website for more information. Like at every
WILA, there is no registration fee to attend or present.

Program:

We are excited to share the program for the 13th Annual Workshop on Immigrant
Languages in the Americas, to be held November 10-12, 2022 at Union South on
the campus of the University of Wisconsin – Madison. We hope you will consider
attending in-person or virtually as your circumstances allow. Please visit our
website for the schedule:
http://www.workshoponimmigrantlanguages.org/schedule-wila-13.html

All panels and poster sessions will be held in a hybrid format and, as always,
the conference is free and open to anyone interested. To register and let us
know if you will be attending virtually or in person, please fill out this
quick form: https://forms.gle/NUGCQ2JYk3PN9bNV7 .

Keynote lectures will be delivered by Dr. Naomi Nagy (U Toronto) and Dr.
Catherine Stafford (UW-Madison), with conference opening remarks by Dr. Rajiv
Rao, Director of Language Sciences at UW-Madison. If you have any questions,
please don’t hesitate to get in touch. We hope to see you there!

 The 2022 Fund Drive is under way! Please visit https://funddrive.linguistlist.org