33.3282, Confs: English; Ling & Literature, Translation, Applied Linguistics/Egypt

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 27 02:28:51 UTC 2022

LINGUIST List: Vol-33-3282. Thu Oct 27 2022. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 33.3282, Confs: English; Ling & Literature, Translation, Applied Linguistics/Egypt

Moderators:

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 02:27:45
From: Mayar Ahmed [mayar.ahmed at pua.edu.eg]
Subject: Brave New Humanities: Empowerment through Literature, Translation, and FLT

Brave New Humanities: Empowerment through Literature, Translation, and FLT

Date: 03-Mar-2023 - 04-Mar-2023
Location: Alexandria, Egypt
Contact: Mayar Ahmed
Contact Email: mayar.ahmed at pua.edu.eg
Meeting URL: https://www.pua.edu.eg/faculty-of-languages-and-translation/brave-new-humanities-faculty-of-languages-and-translation-conference-2023/

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Ling & Literature; Translation

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

Meeting Description:

In today’s world, where every second counts, and the technology superhighway
is attracting everyone to its ever-expanding lanes, the study of humanities
seems to have been relegated to the backbenches. The question that bedevils
many is: is the study of the humanities – and English as a discipline –
obsolete? Do we need to justify the study and practice of literature,
languages, and translation, as teachers and for the students? The answer to
this question entails a re-exploration of how humanities can be given a new
lease of life to go on impacting our lives the way technology and other
non-humanities disciplines do.

With their two traditionally entrenched specialties of translation and
teaching, Departments of English, are, as a substantial representative of the
core of humanities, likewise in much need of being reinvigorated and to come
once more to the fore as “real” and “academic”. They need at the same time to
occupy their well-deserved niche among the disciplines that empower our
graduates when they enter the fierce competition of landing the best work
opportunities in the job market.

The purpose of this conference is therefore to re-examine the validity of
humanities in general and Departments of English in particular, as the avenues
that can put the human aspect of our lives again into perspective. The
conference will look at ways in which how training students at Departments of
English can empower them, as Gen 3 or even 4, to compete successfully in
diverse areas and achieve excellence as well.

 The 2022 Fund Drive is under way! Please visit https://funddrive.linguistlist.org