34.639, FYI: New 'solidarity' membership rate for BAAL

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Feb 22 04:05:02 UTC 2023

LINGUIST List: Vol-34-639. Wed Feb 22 2023. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 34.639, FYI: New 'solidarity' membership rate for BAAL

Moderator: Malgorzata E. Cavar, Francis Tyers (linguist at linguistlist.org)
Managing Editor: Lauren Perkins
Team: Helen Aristar-Dry, Steven Franks, Everett Green, Sarah Robinson, Joshua Sims, Jeremy Coburn, Daniel Swanson, Matthew Fort, Maria Lucero Guillen Puon, Billy Dickson

From: Rachel Wicaksono [r.wicaksono at yorksj.ac.uk]
Subject: New 'solidarity' membership rate for BAAL

The British Association for Applied Linguistics (BAAL) is piloting a
change to the structure of its membership fees this year. This is in
response to feedback on the relatively high cost of joining BAAL for
some colleagues, and in support of the following current key
priorities for BAAL:

- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
- Recovery from the pandemic
- Developing our international outlook
- Multilingual representation

Our pilot scheme will offer up to 10 fee-free annual ‘solidarity’
memberships to applicants who meet one, or more, of the following
criteria:

- Residency in a low- or lower-middle income country, as defined by
the World Bank
- Refugee or Asylum Seeker status, anywhere in the world
- Currently without an institutional affiliation
- Currently registered as a postgraduate student on a full-time
applied linguistics programme, anywhere in the world
- Currently employed on a fixed-term contract of 12 months or less,
anywhere in the world

If you would like to apply for one of the 10 solidarity memberships,
please send an email to the BAAL Membership Secretary, Rachel
Wicaksono r.wicaksono (at) yorksj.ac.uk, with the following
information:

- Your name
- Which of the criteria above you meet
- Up to 250 words about your reasons for joining and your potential
contribution to BAAL, related to the key priorities listed

Please send your email by Monday 6th March (midnight UK time).

Please could I also ask you to share this information about the BAAL
solidarity memberships as widely as possible? We are hoping to reach
as many potential new members as we can.

Please email me if you have any questions!

Rachel

Rachel Wicaksono BA (Hons), MA (Oxon), MA TESOL, EdD, RSA/UCLES Dip
TEFLA

Professor of TESOL and Applied Linguistics
Head of the School of Education, Language and Psychology
York St John University
Lord Mayor's Walk, York, YO31 7EX, UK
+44 (0)1904 876965

https://ray.yorksj.ac.uk/profile/1008

National Teaching Fellow

Membership Secretary, British Association for Applied Linguistics

https://orcid.org/0000-0003-0312-8491

Twitter: @wicaksono

Bloomsbury Publishing (formerly The Continuum International Publishing Group) http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/

Brill http://www.brill.com