34.696, Qs: American English Speakers sought for Sociolinguistic Research

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Feb 28 04:05:02 UTC 2023

LINGUIST List: Vol-34-696. Tue Feb 28 2023. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 34.696, Qs: American English Speakers sought for Sociolinguistic Research

Moderator: Malgorzata E. Cavar, Francis Tyers (linguist at linguistlist.org)
Managing Editor: Lauren Perkins
Team: Helen Aristar-Dry, Steven Franks, Everett Green, Sarah Robinson, Joshua Sims, Jeremy Coburn, Daniel Swanson, Matthew Fort, Maria Lucero Guillen Puon, Billy Dickson

From: Szonja Geiger [geiger.szonja at gmail.com]

Dear Reader,

I am Szonja Geiger, a senior student at Pázmány Péter Catholic
University in Budapest. I study English and American Studies and major
in American studies. I’m looking for a few volunteers to help me with
my thesis study.

In my thesis, I intend to research the grammatical and sociolinguistic
differences between men’s and women’s speech. This phenomenon is
called “genderlect”. For this study to be accurate, I need the same
amount of male and female candidates to help me in the following way:
I need native speakers of English to answer a few given questions and
record their voice while answering them. These recordings will not be
published anywhere and will remain strictly anonymous, but I will need
some demographic information from the participants of the study by
filling out a google form. I would highly appreciate if you would be
willing to help my thesis research by providing me with a few
recordings of your own speech, and would be even more thankful if you
could find anyone from the opposite gender to do so as well.

The link to the google form (containing the demographic information
questions as well as the 5 questions to answer) can be found here: htt
ps://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc5xokPyNkC8TSlVJaymGBrTaaXsQ3sq
RBB-Nvh-NCtmTn6qA/viewform?usp=sf_link

Thank you all to those who decide to help my research.

Szonja Geiger

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

Bloomsbury Publishing (formerly The Continuum International Publishing Group) http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/