34.19, FYI: Call for study participants: Language educators using TalkAbroad, LinguaMeeting, Conversifi, Boomalang, and similar platforms

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Jan 6 04:05:02 UTC 2023

LINGUIST List: Vol-34-19. Fri Jan 06 2023. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 34.19, FYI: Call for study participants: Language educators using TalkAbroad, LinguaMeeting, Conversifi, Boomalang, and similar platforms

Moderator: Malgorzata E. Cavar, Francis Tyers (linguist at linguistlist.org)
Managing Editor: Lauren Perkins
Team: Helen Aristar-Dry, Steven Franks, Everett Green, Sarah Robinson, Joshua Sims, Jeremy Coburn, Daniel Swanson, Matthew Fort, Maria Lucero Guillen Puon, Billy Dickson

From: Valentina Vinokurova [vvinokurova at arizona.edu]

Hi,

My name is Valentina Vinokurova, and I am a Ph.D. candidate in Second
Language Acquisition and Teaching at the University of Arizona. For my
dissertation, I am conducting a research study on the use of
service-provider virtual exchange platforms (e.g., LinguaMeeting,
Boomalang, Conversifi, and TalkAbroad), and I am seeking participants
and I hope you can help.

This study aims to better understand who uses these platforms and in
what educational context, how the pandemic affected the use of these
platforms, what teachers see as the main benefits of such services,
how they design tasks for conversation sessions and how they assess
student participation.

The global pandemic has accelerated the trend to provide language
education in fully online and hybrid modalities, thereby making the
services connecting language learners to native speakers more
attractive and useful. This study can increase the visibility of the
services that allow teachers to do that as well as provide a platform
for sharing best practices and understanding teacher perceptions of
this practice.

Would you like to help? Eligible participants will be K-16 language
educators in the US and will currently use or have used
service-provider virtual exchange platforms (such as LinguaMeeting,
Boomalang, Conversifi, and TalkAbroad). Your participation will
consist of filling out an anonymous online survey which should take no
more than 30 minutes to complete. If you are a qualified participant
and are interested in helping me with my data collection, click on
this link
(https://uarizona.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_1LEcssVgRoPFonc) to
take the Qualtrics survey.

An Institutional Review Board responsible for human subjects research
at The University of Arizona reviewed this research project and found
it to be acceptable, according to applicable state and federal
regulations and University policies designed to protect the rights and
welfare of participants in research.

Please let me know if you have any questions at
vvinokurova at arizona.edu. Thank you for your time!

Best,
Valentina Vinokurova
Ph.D. Candidate in Second Language Acquisition and Teaching
University of Arizona

 The 2022 Fund Drive is under way! Please visit https://funddrive.linguistlist.org