34.61, Calls: Applied Linguistics, Language Acquisition/USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Jan 10 05:38:29 UTC 2023

LINGUIST List: Vol-34-61. Tue Jan 10 2023. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 34.61, Calls: Applied Linguistics, Language Acquisition/USA

Moderators:

Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 05:38:16
From: Julia Bach [sle at umn.edu]
Subject: 2023 Second Language Acquisition Graduate Student Symposium

Full Title: 2023 Second Language Acquisition Graduate Student Symposium

Date: 31-Mar-2023 - 01-Apr-2023
Location: Online & Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Contact Person: Julia Bach
Meeting Email: sle at umn.edu
Web Site: https://slegsa.umn.edu/

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition

Call Deadline: 30-Jan-2023

Meeting Description:

Each year since 2008, SLA students from the University of Wisconsin-Madison
and the University of Iowa have come together for the SLA Graduate Student
Symposium, held alternately in Madison and Iowa City.  Now that the University
of Minnesota has joined this partnership, our student researchers can take
advantage of the registration-free Symposium to meet other scholars, practice
presenting in front of their peers, and get feedback on their work and ideas.

Call for Papers:

The theme of this year’s symposium, Centering Language Learners in Evolving
Times, draws upon our current context and the importance of looking towards
possibilities and opportunities in emerging research. We seek to provide a
space for new ideas and ventures in second language scholarship that examine
the experiences of language learners broadly conceived. The 2023 SLA Graduate
Student Symposium strives to create a forum for sharing scholarship that
informs both theory and practice within the field.

We encourage presentations of data-driven studies with a special focus on
practical applications, position papers, and critical reviews of literature on
emerging issues in second language acquisition and related fields. We invite
proposals from a variety of areas, including but not limited to the following:

Analysis of discourse and interaction
Assessment practices and testing
Changing and reclaiming spaces: Heritage languages and revitalization
Language policy and planning
Multilingualism and translanguaging spaces
(Shifting) identities
Student as teacher, teacher as student
Teaching and learning under duress: Among germs and steel
Teaching as a practice
Technological practices and advances in instruction and learning

For more information visit:
https://slegsa.umn.edu/call-proposals

 The 2022 Fund Drive is under way! Please visit https://funddrive.linguistlist.org