34.173, Confs: Anthropological Linguistics, Applied Linguistics, Discourse Analysis, Sociolinguistics/Switzerland

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Jan 19 01:31:47 UTC 2023

LINGUIST List: Vol-34-173. Thu Jan 19 2023. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 34.173, Confs: Anthropological Linguistics, Applied Linguistics, Discourse Analysis, Sociolinguistics/Switzerland

Moderators:

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 01:31:31
From: Crispin Thurlow [crispin.thurlow at unibe.ch]
Subject: Language Work in the Movies (round table)

Language Work in the Movies (round table)

Date: 09-Nov-2023 - 10-Nov-2023
Location: Bern, Switzerland
Contact: Crispin Thurlow
Contact Email: crispin.thurlow at unibe.ch
Meeting URL: https://www.languageworkers.org/

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Applied Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Sociolinguistics

Meeting Description:

This round table will be held over two days in Bern, Switzerland on Thursday
09 and Friday 10 November 2023. We are looking to bring together a small
number of scholars from any area of sociocultural linguistics whose research
centers the work of, for example, dialect coaches, dubbing artists,
translators, subtitlers, closed-captioners, and audio-describers. Our core
objective is to think beyond the more obvious, high-profile representation of
language/s by focusing instead on behind-the-scenes language production and,
specifically, the practices of language workers otherwise overlooked or
obscured. We can offer up to CHF 1,000 to each presenter towards the costs of
their travel and accommodation. Please visit our website (listed here:
https://www.languageworkers.org/) for more information.

 The 2022 Fund Drive is under way! Please visit https://funddrive.linguistlist.org