34.186, Calls: Applied Ling, Gen Ling, Historical Ling, Translation/United Kingdom

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Jan 20 02:07:49 UTC 2023

LINGUIST List: Vol-34-186. Fri Jan 20 2023. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 34.186, Calls: Applied Ling, Gen Ling, Historical Ling, Translation/United Kingdom

Moderators:

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 02:06:59
From: Stephan Nitu [stephan.nitu at classics.ox.ac.uk]
Subject: Humanities Forward: Opportunities and Challenges for the Next Twenty Years

Full Title: Humanities Forward: Opportunities and Challenges for the Next Twenty Years

Date: 13-May-2023 - 14-May-2023
Location: Ertegun House, University of Oxford, United Kingdom
Contact Person: Stephan Nitu
Meeting Email: stephan.nitu at classics.ox.ac.uk

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics; Historical Linguistics; Translation

Call Deadline: 05-Feb-2023

Meeting Description:

Whereto the Humanities? What will preoccupy the Humanities scholar as we
hurtle towards midcentury at an ever-increasing pace? Beset by institutional
hawks demanding more quantitative impact and value, how do the Humanities
respond, innovate, and preserve the tangible and intangible affects which make
our work worthwhile? This conference invites early graduate students and
career researchers—along with other interested stakeholders—to paint our
near-future with a critical eye, to debate what the Humanities are going
forward, and to tackle the challenges and opportunities researchers are facing
in a changing world.

Call for Papers:

Some of the issues that will be considered at the conference include:

* What is the value of the Humanities? Is there an intrinsic value that allows
us to pursue the Humanities for their own sake, and should we foreground such
salience? Or, in instrumental terms, what is the role of the Humanities in
fostering critical thinking, empathy, deliberation, or a shared notion of
culture or the past?

* What can be done to raise the profile of the Humanities? How does one
respond to a lack of financial and institutional resources, and to an
increasing lack of recognition in strategic aims and targets set out by
political and socioeconomic stakeholders? What is the Humanities’ position
vis-à-vis the model of the impact-driven, quantitative/bibliometric project?
Are there still jobs out there?

* Whose voices represent the Humanities, and to whom do they speak? How do
transdisciplinarity and interdisciplinarity embed themselves in the way
individual scholars work and are taught? What does the future hold for
outreach possibilities, and should public engagement be more central in our
work?

* How should the work-life balance of a Humanities researcher be structured?
Do REFs, project-specific grants, and administrative bureaucracy stifle
innovation and autonomy of research? How do we seriously integrate wellbeing
into a stressful job environment, and what do the Humanities have to offer
there?

* What innovative changes are the Humanities pursuing and why? What is the
importance of open-access publishing and Digital Humanities? Should
multi-author papers upend the monograph? How can we emphasize fluid research
networks and collaborative work (such as editing a database) rather than
stable canons and CVs?

Proposals for papers relating to these topics (holistically or from within a
particular field) should be sent as an abstract of c.300 words to
stephan.nitu at classics.ox.ac.uk by February 5th, 2023. Papers are scheduled for
25-30 minutes each, with additional discussion and response from an academic.
Collaborative/multi-author presentations are acceptable and even encouraged!
Please note that travel expenses to Oxford cannot be covered, but there will
be a virtual delivery option for those who would like to present (or attend)
and cannot do so in person.

Many of the conference’s challenges and opportunities were considered at the
UNESCO 2021 European Humanities Conference, where a Youth Forum met to chart
out the most important priorities for the near future of Humanities and their
young scholars. I encourage you to read its report
(https://hdl.handle.net/1887/3479909) whilst thinking about the broad
questions above.

All best wishes,
Stephan Nitu