34.228, Calls: Language Acquisition, Sociolinguistics, Text/Corpus Linguistics/Germany

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Jan 24 09:02:35 UTC 2023

LINGUIST List: Vol-34-228. Tue Jan 24 2023. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 34.228, Calls: Language Acquisition, Sociolinguistics, Text/Corpus Linguistics/Germany

Moderators:

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 08:34:40
From: RUEG Coordination [coordination-rueg at hu-berlin.de]
Subject: Linguistic Variability in Heritage Language Research

Full Title: Linguistic Variability in Heritage Language Research
Short Title: RUEG2023

Date: 26-Sep-2023 - 28-Sep-2023
Location: Berlin, Germany
Contact Person: RUEG Coordination
Meeting Email: coordination-rueg at hu-berlin.de
Web Site: https://hu.berlin/rueg2023

Linguistic Field(s): Language Acquisition; Sociolinguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics

Call Deadline: 17-Apr-2023

Meeting Description:

Linguistic research across subdisciplines has recently developed much interest
in the influence of between- and within-speaker variability in language
production and comprehension. While speaker diversity has always been
considered in heritage language research, this new-found momentum holds much
potential for the advancement of theoretical concepts and the development of a
more comprehensive view of language as a fundamentally diverse phenomenon.
Capturing and modelling such diversity, especially in limited data, however,
presents a substantial challenge for heritage language research among other
fields. For example, numerous questions arise in relation to the empirical
research practices: What quantitative and qualitative challenges do we face?
How do we consider and integrate variability and diversity in our research
designs, our data structures, and analyses? Other questions concern the
theoretical and epistemological integration: If the baseline contains
diversity, can we still identify factors that allow us to group and compare
speakers? How do we account for the full diversity within the data without
losing sight of unifying patterns?

The Research Unit “Emerging grammars in language contact situations: A
comparative approach” (RUEG; https://hu.berlin/rueg) has investigated these
questions over the past six years in a multi-university collaboration funded
by the German Science Foundation. Research within RUEG has focused on both
heritage speakers and monolinguals speaking a variety of languages in
comparative contact situations. Crucially, this work has assumed that both
speaker groups - heritage speakers as well as monolinguals - exhibit both
intra-individual and inter-individual variation. In addition, research has
targeted non-canonical patterns (unexpected from the point of view of standard
grammars) in both speaker groups, not assuming that non-canonical structures
are restricted to only one group.
This international conference marks the completion of RUEG’s second and final
3-year period. It aims to bring together researchers who are interested in
contributing to the investigation of heritage languages (spoken and signed),
especially from the perspective of linguistic variability and methodological
challenges.

On the first day, the conference will connect with the European Day of
Languages, focusing on educational implications for multilingual settings,
including an outreach event with heritage communities and practitioners.

Call for Papers:

We invite contributions on any theoretical or empirical work on heritage
languages as related to the session content outlined below. Abstracts can be
submitted for paper presentations (20 minutes + 10 minutes discussion) or
posters. Abstracts should not exceed 500 words plus one page for references,
figures, tables or examples. We kindly ask contributors to specify their
chosen format in the abstract (paper and/or poster).

We plan to have the following three thematic sessions, each introduced by a
keynote speaker. Research presentations in the sessions can include or extend
any of the following:

Session 1: Baselines and Variation
What are the appropriate groups to compare in studies on heritage languages?
How homogeneous is linguistic production between individual heritage speakers?
Which factors predict different outcomes in linguistic production between
individual speakers? Do some linguistic levels and phenomena show greater
variability than others?
Keynote: Jason Rothman, The Arctic University of Norway

Session 2: Repertoires and Communicative Situations
What is the role of communicative situations in the linguistic behaviour of
heritage speakers and monolinguals? Do specific communicative situations
trigger unexpected linguistic patterns, and do heritage speakers and other
speaker groups behave similarly in those situations? To what extent do
heritage speakers show register awareness in their heritage languages?
Keynote: Anna Shadrova, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin

Session 3: Methodological Advances
What methods in corpus and experimental linguistics are suitable to detect and
capture possible heritage language grammars or other types of non-standard
grammars? How can we best capture linguistic patterns that fall outside formal
standard language? What methods in corpus and experimental linguistics are
suitable to study speakers’ repertoires?
Keynote: Irina Sekerina, The City University of New York

Poster session
There will also be an extended poster session with lightning talks dedicated
to the topics described in 1-3.

Submission Guidelines
All papers must be original and not simultaneously submitted to another
journal or conference. The following paper categories are welcome:
- Full papers related to one of the three thematic sessions (please indicate
the session you would like to present in)
- Posters related to one of the three thematic sessions (please indicate the
session you would like to present in)

Submission Deadline: 17th April 2023

List of Topics
- Language Contact