34.254, Calls: Gen Ling, Lang Acquisition, Ling Theories, Phonology, Socioling/Poland

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Jan 25 05:21:23 UTC 2023

LINGUIST List: Vol-34-254. Wed Jan 25 2023. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 34.254, Calls: Gen Ling, Lang Acquisition, Ling Theories, Phonology, Socioling/Poland

Moderators:

Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 05:21:02
From: Ewelina Wojtkowiak [ewelina.wojtkowiak at amu.edu.pl]
Subject: 52nd Poznań Linguistic Meeting

Full Title: 52nd Poznań Linguistic Meeting
Short Title: PLM2023

Date: 13-Sep-2023 - 15-Sep-2023
Location: Poznań, Poland
Contact Person: Ewelina Wojtkowiak
Meeting Email: plm at wa.amu.edu.pl
Web Site: http://wa.amu.edu.pl/plm/2023/

Linguistic Field(s): General Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Linguistic Theories; Phonology; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 31-Mar-2023

Meeting Description:

The Poznań Linguistic Meeting (PLM) is an annual general linguistics
conference that continues the tradition of the Polish–English contrastive
conferences started by Jacek Fisiak in 1970. The name ''Poznań Linguistic
Meeting'' was adopted in 1997, when Katarzyna Dziubalska-Kołaczyk took over as
the Head of the Organising Committee. The Meetings are organised by the
Faculty of English, Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznań.

Call for Papers:

We are very happy to announce the 52nd edition of the Poznań Linguistic
Meeting on 13–15 September 2023. The meeting will be organized by the Faculty
of English, Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznań.

The leitmotif of the 52nd PLM will be “Why are some theories more successful
than others?” Kurt Lewin (1952) wrote that “there is nothing more practical
than a good theory.” At this year's PLM, we would like to reflect on the
general question of what makes a theory good in linguistics. In particular, we
would like to consider the issue of why some theories are more successful than
others – what makes some approaches enter the mainstream and become extremely
popular, while others remain in the niche? Is it elegance of the proposed
explanations? Economy? Predictive power? Social and political context? Or is
it the support provided by empirical studies? We encourage participants to
submit contributions from any area of linguistics, from any perspective.

Plenary events

Confirmed plenary lectures:

- Joseph V. Casillas (Rutgers University)
- Miriam Meyerhoff (University of Oxford)
- Wolfgang U. Dressler (Vienna University)
- Ophelia Deroy (Ludwig Maximilian University in Munich)

As is our tradition, we will conclude with a Grand Debate related to the
leitmotif.

Submission guidelines

Proposals of thematic/workshop sessions and papers are invited for both oral
and poster presentations related to the leitmotif, to other topics within
modern linguistics, and to the topics of the thematic sessions.

Each paper in the general oral sessions will be given 30 minutes, including 10
minutes for discussion. Poster sessions will form an integral part of the
conference programme. The number of submissions is limited to one
single-authored plus one co-authored abstract per author (or two co-authored
ones). This limitation does not apply to PhD candidate posters. The language
of the conference is English. The submissions will be reviewed by our
International Advisory Board.

The dates for PLM2023 are as follows:
Submission deadline for thematic session proposals: 31 January 2023
Notification of acceptance for thematic sessions: extended to 15 February 2023
Submission deadline for all abstracts: 31 March 2023
Notification of acceptance: 15 May 2023
Conference: 13–15 September 2023

PLM Organising Committee
Katarzyna Dziubalska-Kołaczyk
Jarosław Weckwerth
Ewelina Wojtkowiak

Contact details:
Faculty of English, Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań
Collegium Heliodori Święcicki
Grunwaldzka 6
60-780 Poznań, Poland
tel: (+48 61) 829 3506