34.331, Summer Schools: Language In The Human-Machine Era (fully funded) / Kosovo

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Jan 27 22:30:29 UTC 2023

LINGUIST List: Vol-34-331. Fri Jan 27 2023. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 34.331, Summer Schools:  Language In The Human-Machine Era (fully funded) / Kosovo

Moderators:

Editor for this issue: Sarah Goldfinch <sgoldfinch at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 22:29:19
From: Dave Sayers [dave.sayers at cantab.net]

 Language In The Human-Machine Era (fully funded)

Host Institution:
Coordinating Institution: University of Jyväskylä
Website: https://lithme.eu/training-school/

Dates: 05-Jun-2023 - 09-Jun-2023
Location: Pristina, Pristina, Kosovo

Focus: More information about eligibility, and the online application form, can be found at https://lithme.eu/training-school/. The deadline for applications is Sunday 15 January, 2022.
Minimum Education Level: MA

‘Language in the Human-Machine Era’ (https://lithme.eu/) welcomes everyone interested in the impact of new and emerging language technologies. Whether you are a tech developer who wants to learn more about linguistics, or a
linguist who wants to know more about tech, we want to hear from you! Academic or non-academic, funding is available to people with any affiliation to a legal entity (university, company, charity, etc.) in European countries and in countries neighbouring Europe (see https://www.cost.eu/about/strategy/cost-global-networking/). Self-funded applicants from any country are also welcome.

Our aim is to prepare everyone for imminent changes in the way we use technology to communicate. From immersive augmented reality to super-intelligent chatbots, in the near future we will be communicating in very different ways. This will present significant challenges for all areas of linguistics and language research; meanwhile developers need insights from linguistic research to improve the technologies themselves. So we must all adapt.

Our fully funded training school is open to any eligible person who is interested to explore these timely topics. We welcome experienced developers as much as those with no technological expertise, only an interest in exploring the possible effects of these near future advances in language technology.

Please forward this email on to anyone who may be interested, and please retweet the announcement here: https://twitter.com/LgHumanMachine/status/1605924082108600320

We hope to see you in Pristina!

Best wishes,
Dave (on behalf of the training school organising committee)

Dr. Dave Sayers, ORCID no. 0000-0003-1124-7132
Senior Lecturer & Docent, Dept Language & Communication Studies, U. Jyväskylä, Finland | www.jyu.fi
Chair, EU COST Action CA19102 'Language in the Human-Machine Era' | www.lithme.eu
Founder & Moderator, TeachLing | https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/teachling
dave.sayers at cantab.net | https://jyu.academia.edu/DaveSayers

Linguistic Field(s): Discipline of Linguistics