34.361, Calls: Typology/France

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat Jan 28 00:58:33 UTC 2023

LINGUIST List: Vol-34-361. Sat Jan 28 2023. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 34.361, Calls: Typology/France

Moderators:

Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 00:58:03
From: Sonja Riesberg [sonja.riesberg at cnrs.fr]
Subject: Grammatical Relations in Spoken Language Corpora

Full Title: Grammatical Relations in Spoken Language Corpora
Short Title: GRelSpoC

Date: 15-Jun-2023 - 16-Jun-2023
Location: Paris, France
Contact Person: Katharina Haude
Meeting Email: katharina.haude at cnrs.fr
Web Site: https://grelspoc2023.sciencesconf.org/

Linguistic Field(s): Typology

Call Deadline: 15-Feb-2023

Meeting Description:

Scholars with a broadly usage-oriented view on language share the idea that
the linguistic structures encountered in human language systems arise from
diachronic processes of language evolution that are in turn shaped by
considerations of language processing, learning and usage (cf. e.g. Sinnemäki
2014 for an overview). Recent years have seen a steep rise in studies directly
addressing issues of processing and learnability in relation to typological
distributions of linguistic structures, e.g. in experimental studies from
neuro- (Sauppe et al 2021; Bickel et al 2015) and psycholinguistics (Adamou
2017) as well as in artificial language learning experiments (Tal et al 2022;
Mansfield et al 2022).

Corpus-based studies (of language usage by adult speakers) related to
typological questions have a longer history within the functionalist tradition
of linguistics associated with scholars like Wallace Chafe or Talmy Givón (and
their associates and successors) as well as Zipf’s (1935) seminal work on
frequency distributions and form-frequency correspondences. Larger-scale
corpus studies of relevance for typology have examined in particular word
order (Greenberg 1963; Dryer 1992; Futrell et al 2015, 2020; Levshina 2019)
and marking asymmetries (Greenberg 1966; Levshina 2021; Haspelmath & Karjus
2014), taking efficiency as a core characteristic underlying language use as
well as the design of human language systems (cf. Gibson et al 2019 for an
overview). Yet, for the most part this work is based on corpora from larger
languages (often with a literary tradition and official/standard status in at
least one country), and largely on written corpora.

In this workshop we focus on the interrelation of grammatical relations as
reflected in the structure of individual languages and their communicative
underpinnings in discourse production, and we seek to bring together scholars
with a primary focus on corpus-based work. We intend to broaden the
perspective on the usage-oriented rationale behind specific structural aspects
of grammatical relation systems. We hence seek corpus-based research that
includes not only classic discourse-functional factors like topic marking and
topic continuity (Givón 1976, 1983; Shibatani 1991) or the converse function
of reference establishment (DuBois 1987; cf. Evans & Levinson 2009:440), but
also structural (e.g. the interplay of person agreement and pronoun use, cf.
Taraldsen 1980; Rosenkvist 2009, 2018; Schnell & Barth 2020), cultural, and
social factors (e.g. use of ergative constructions in relation to the social
role of speakers in Samoan, cf. Duranti 1994).

We furthermore restrict the purview of this workshop to spoken-language
discourse as we see spoken language usage not only as the primary seedbed for
the emergence of grammatical relations generally speaking (by way of its
primordial form of usage of human languages) and specifically as containing
those interactions between prosodic, syntactic and morphological structure
that lie behind processes of univerbation and morphologization (Lehmann 2015
[1982]; Bybee 1985).

Invited speakers:

Linda Konnerth (University of Bern)

Henrik Rosenkvist (University of Gothenburg)

2nd Call for Papers:

We invite contributions of corpus-based research that are primarily based on
spoken-language production data, and preferably on data from hitherto
understudied languages. E.g:

- Conditioning of differential case marking/flagging, indexing of core
argument functions
- Alignment splits in regards to core argument encoding, and its reflections
in language use
- Variation in word order
- Structural factors impacting the use of specific structures in grammatical
relations
-Communicative functions of distinct structural features
- Interplay of case, indexing and word order with prosodic chunking and
intonation
- Role of prosodic principles in linguistic unit formation in grammatical
relations

Abstracts should be no longer than 700 words and in PDF format.

Submission Deadline: 15 Feb 2023

To submit an abstract, go to https://grelspoc2023.sciencesconf.org/ and create
an account under “Login”. Once you have logged in, go to “My Submissions”, and
follow the instructions

 The 2022 Fund Drive is under way! Please visit https://funddrive.linguistlist.org