Appel: TIA 2013 workshop on Optimizing understanding in multilingual hospital encounters

Thierry Hamon thierry.hamon at UNIV-PARIS13.FR
Sat Jul 27 19:00:00 UTC 2013

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 17:41:17 +0200
From: Nathalie Aussenac-Gilles <nathalie.aussenac-gilles at irit.fr>

Call for contributions. We invite you to send a short paper (4 pages,
presentation time 15 minutes) for the

Workshop on:

Optimizing understanding in multilingual hospital encounters

TIA, Paris, 30 October 2013

In this workshop we will bring together participants who have solutions
for one or more of the following problems:

How can mutual understanding be optimized with the help of technology in
hospitals where both patients and professionals have varying language
skills, cultural backgrounds and cognitive capacities?

Can domain ontologies, natural language processing tools, multilingual
knowledge-based tools, multilingual terminology resources and other
semantic technologies be combined in order to enhance the quality of
mutual understanding between humans?

Multi-language web apps already exist that make it easier for different
health professionals to improve communication through the use of
terminology and phrases like standardquestions and explanations in
multiple languages. We solicit ideas on how technology can optimize the
usability of this type of resource and of other types of resources and
on how new technologies can reuse all types of existing terminological
resources.

The aim of this workshop is to bring together researchers from several
domains, and practitioners from industry, academia and health policy
making bodies to report on recent developments, achievements, technology
trends and research results on projects concerning the optimization of
understanding in multilingual hospital encounters and the possibilities
of applying web-based technologies to this end.

What follows is a non-exhaustive list of topics of interest for this
workshop.

- One of the topics is how cloud-based technology can optimize
  understanding in caretaker - caregiver communication in a variety of
  hospital settings where misunderstanding might be lurking because of
  incompatible language skills, cultural differences, terminology, etc.

- We welcome contributions in the field of current semantic web-based
  technologies, techniques and tools with the aim of reusing distributed
  data on the web and exploring web-based health applications.

- We also solicit examples of service-oriented collective intelligence
  and language resource interoperability. How can existing hospital
  infrastructures of several kinds be designed for caregivers and for
  care takers as end users?

- A clinical pathway is a decision-tree based on clinical assessment
  that guides the triage, history taking and further examination of a
  patient with a particular clinical problem. We solicit examples of
  clinical pathways for identifying and treating specific disorders at
  triage and history taking in hospital emergency wards where caretakers
  and patients do not speak the same language, in whichthe linguistic
  and cultural background of a patient are taken into consideration.

- General-purpose machine translation tools are not reliable for the
  translation of medical records. We solicit examples of the use of
  machine translation tools (trained to target specific domains in
  medicine?) to enhance understanding between caregivers and caretakers
  in well-defined contexts.

ORGANIZERS

Rita Temmerman
Centrum voor Vaktaal en Communicatie (CVC) -- Applied Linguistics
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Pleinlaan 5B-1050 Brussel
rita.temmerman at vub.ac.be<mailto:rita.temmerman at vub.ac.be>
http://research.vub.ac.be/centrum-vaktaal-communicatie

and

Guadalupe Aguado De Cea
*/Ontology Engineering Group/*
http://www.oeg-upm.net/
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
lupe at fi.upm.es <mailto:lupe at fi.upm.es>

Members of the programme committee (some still to be confirmed):

Nathalie Aussenac-Gilles  (IRIT, CNRS, Toulouse, France)
Christian Chiarcos(Universität Potsdam, Germany)
Philippe Cimiano(CITEC Bielefeld Germany)
Oscar Corcho (UPM, Madrid, Spain)
Stefan Darmoni (Département d'Epidémiologie et de Santé Publique CHU
Rouen, France)
Göran Falkman (School of Humanities and Informatics, University of
Skövde, Sweden)
Natalia Grabar (Université de Lille 3, France)
Asunción Goméz Peréz (OEG, Universidad Politécnica Madrid, Spain)
Thierry Hamon(Institut GaliléeParis 13, France)
Marie-Christine Jaulent (INSERM -- Paris, France)
Aurélie Névéol (CNRS, France)
Stefan Schulz (Medical University of Graz, Austria)
Annette Ten Teije (VU Amsterdam, The Netherlands)
Marc Van Campenhoudt (Termisti Bruxelles, Belgium)

- Paper due date: *10 September 2013*

- Notification of acceptance: *30 September 2013*

- Camera-ready deadline: *10 October 2013*

- Workshop: *30 October 2013*

Instructions for authors: please send a 4 page short paper the templates
available at http://flores.lipn.univ-paris13.fr/tia2013/Submission.html

Message diffuse par la liste Langage Naturel <LN at cines.fr>
Informations, abonnement : http://www.atala.org/article.php3?id_article=48
English version       :
Archives                 : http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/ln.html
                                http://liste.cines.fr/info/ln

La liste LN est parrainee par l'ATALA (Association pour le Traitement
Automatique des Langues)
Information et adhesion  : http://www.atala.org/