Livre: Theories of Information, Communication and Knowledge. A Multidisciplinary approach

Thierry Hamon thierry.hamon at UNIV-PARIS13.FR
Tue Sep 24 21:09:45 UTC 2013

Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 09:50:42 +0200
From: Fidelia Ibekwe <fidelia.ibekwe-sanjuan at univ-lyon3.fr>

Fidelia Ibekwe-SanJuan & Thomas Dousa (eds.), Theories of Information,
Communication and Knowledge. A Multidisciplinary approach, Springer,
Netherlands.
Series "Studies in History and Philosophy of Science", vol. 34, 2014,
331 pages.
ISBN: 978-94-007-6972-4
http://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-94-007-6973-1/page/1

ABSTRACT
-------------------
This book addresses some of the key questions that scientists have been
asking themselves for centuries: what is knowledge? What is information?
How do we know that we know something? How do we construct meaning from
the perceptions of things? And how do we communicate this meaning to
others—that is to say, inform them? Although no consensus exists on a
common definition of the concepts of information and communication, few
can reject the hypothesis that information – whether perceived as an «
Epistemology can be defined as the study of how we know things in
general—this is its primary signification in the anglophone world—or,
more specifically, as the study of how scientific knowledge is attained
and validated—this is how it is conceived in the francophone world. To
adopt an epistemological stance is to commit oneself to render an
account of what constitutes knowledge or, in procedural terms, to render
an account of when one can claim to know something. An epistemological
theory imposes constraints on the interpretation of human cognitive
interaction with the world. It goes without saying that different
epistemological theories will have more or less restrictive criteria for
distinguishing what constitutes knowledge from what is not. If
information is a precondition for knowledge acquisition, giving an
account of how knowledge is acquired should affect our understanding of
information and communication as concepts. While much has been written
on the definition of these concepts, relatively few researchers have
sought to establish explicit links between differing theoretical
conceptions of them and the underlying epistemological stances. This is
what this volume attempts to do. It is a multidisciplinary exploration
of how information and communication are perceived in different
disciplines and how this affects theories of knowledge.

TOC
Chapter 1: Introduction by Thomas M. Dousa, Fidelia Ibekwe-SanJuan
Chapter 2: The Transdisciplinary view of Information Theory from a
cybersemiotic perspective by Søren Brier
Chapter 3: Epistemology and the study of social information within the
perspective of a Unified Theory of Information by Wolfgang Hofkirchner
Chapter 4: Perception and Testimony as Data Providers by Luciano Floridi
Chapter 5: Human Communication from the Semiotic Perspective by Winfried
Nöth
Chapter 6: Mind the Gap: Transitions between Concepts of Information in
varied domains by Lyn Robinson and David Bawden
Chapter 7: Information without Information Studies by Jonathan Furner
Chapter 8: Epistemological challenges for Information Science:
Constructing information by Ian Cornelius
Chapter 9: Information Science and its core concepts: Levels of
disagreements by Birger Hjørland
Chapter 10. Visual Information Construing: Bistability as a revealer of
Mediating Patterns by Sylvie Leleu-Merviel
Chapter 11: Understanding Users' informational Constructs via a Triadic
Method Approach: A case study by Michel Labour
Chapter 12: Documentary Languages and the Demarcation of Information
Units in Textual Information: The case of Julius Otto Kaiser's
Systematic Indexing by Thomas Dousa

Message diffuse par la liste Langage Naturel <LN at cines.fr>
Informations, abonnement : http://www.atala.org/article.php3?id_article=48
English version       :
Archives                 : http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/ln.html
                                http://liste.cines.fr/info/ln

La liste LN est parrainee par l'ATALA (Association pour le Traitement
Automatique des Langues)
Information et adhesion  : http://www.atala.org/

ATALA décline toute responsabilité concernant le contenu des
messages diffusés sur la liste LN