LL-L: "Etymology" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 05.AUG.1999 (04)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 5 19:53:09 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 05.AUG.1999 (04) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk]
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" [E/Norwegian] LOWLANDS-L, 05.AUG.1999 (03)

> From: Muhammed Suleiman [suleiman at lineone.net]
> Subject: Seeking Cognates
>
> Obviously, the suffix -less means just that, so the actual root
> we are looking
> for is _gaum_  (begrudgingly ? _gorm_). Now I do seem to recall
> that there is a
> Gothic verb _gauma_, meaning 'to understand', and it seems to me
> to be cognate,
> but proof from other Germanic languages would help.

While the etymology ("without understanding") is sound, "gaumless" is now
considered obsolete in English, while it seems to me that the form
"gormless" could now be considered general English (or at least general
British English). The spelling "gormless" is supported by speakers of
Scottish English, the "r" always being clearly trilled.

Sandy Fleming
http:\\www.fleimin.demon.co.uk