LL-L: "Etymology" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 07.AUG.1999 (01)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 8 01:31:00 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 07.AUG.1999 (01) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: john feather [johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk]
Subject: Etymology

Ron

I'm inclined to agree with you that it is highly plausible that "gormless"
derives from "gaum" via a "pronunciation spelling" (the opposite of a
"spelling pronunciation") and rather improbable that metathesis of "gaumr"
to *"gaurm" is responsible.

Your use of the word "reanalized" inevitably caused me to wonder whether the
US use of "ass" instead of BE "arse" arose in the reverse way. In British RP
"arse" is homophonic with upper-class/military "ass" (once more a simpleton,
fool, etc), pronounced "ahss". Perhaps the Colonials misunderstood the
epithet hurled at them by the Redcoat officers.Or perhaps there is some more
plausible explanation.

John
johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk