LL-L: "Multilinguism" [E/Marollien] LOWLANDS-L, 25.AUG.1999 (03)

Sandy Fleming sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 25 06:09:58 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 25.AUG.1999 (03) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Roger Thijs [Roger.Thijs at village.uunet.be]
Subject: "Multilinguism"

At 06:43 AM 8/24/99 +0100, you wrote:
>From: Georg Deutsch [gdeutsch at estec.esa.nl]
>Subject: "Multilinguism"
>Roger, you mentioned in your last contribution:
>>...even forgetting the Brussels
>>mixed varieties often designated as Marollien
>Never heard of "Marollien".
>Would you like to explain this more in detail?
>I would be interested to learn.

Actually people use "Marols" / "Marollien" for one of the three:
- 1 - Brabantish with a lot of contamination by French
sample: first version in (called "Hoogstraat language" over there):
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Roger_Thijs/brussel2.htm
- 2 - French with a lot of contamination by Brabantish
sample: second (italic) version in:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Roger_Thijs/brussel2.htm
- 3 - Walloon/French with a lot of contamination by Brabantish
sample:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Roger_Thijs/brussel3.htm

When someone is selling a book in "Marols/Marollien" one has to check what
of the three versions the seller refers to.

The "Marollen" is the poor people's quarter inside the inner ring of
Brussels. It got it's name from the former abbey of the sisters "Maria
Colentes", called "Marikollen" by the people.

For the first version (Brabantish with French elements), from the book, I
got most recently:
Marcel de Schrijver, Eie ma vast? Het levend Brussels dialect, Een
bloemlezing van merkwaardige woorden en gezegden, 285 pp., no ISBN nr.,
distributed by "Academie van het Brussels", Heiligenborre 13, 1170 Brussel.
a sample:
Na mooie ni paaze da'k ee da poèzeke em zitte deklameire
Allien mo vè aile 't amuzeire
Neineie... ik em aile wille demonsteire
Dat as er zain dee uile me konviksen e stuk in uilen uur drinke.
Dat da ni seulement en allien es vè te drinke
In the North we often call this language the language of the "Ketje". A
"ketje" is a boy who has grown up in the Brussels streets.

For the second version (French with Brabantish elements), from the book, I
got most recently (a strip album):
Raoul Cauvin & Louis-Michel Carpentier; In d'environs van bij Poje, 't Es
bekan Niks, g'adapteit en bruxellois dui Paul Vankeuken, Dupuis, ISBN
2-8001-2770-8, 48 pp.
a sample:
- Salut les copains va ons zaain waaile
- Heuh. c'est pas tout ça. Une triple Wesmaele, twee druugsossiskes en een
koemeke keis!
- T'avais pas rendez-vous ici toi avec un ami à toi?
- Il vient jucht de téléphoner. I sait pas venir.
- Ouil, ouil, alors wacht een betje. Je donne moi simplement de l'eau du
robinet.

The third language version is dead. It was the language of the walloon
workers who digged the canal Charleroi-Brussels in the 19th century, and
settled in Brussels afterwards.
Roger Kervyn de Marcke ten Driessche has written some books in this
language. (cf. web page above)

Regards,
Roger