LL-L: "Names" (was "Resources") [E] LOWLANDS-L, 28.AUG.1999 (01)

Sandy Fleming sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 28 06:35:43 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 28.AUG.1999 (01) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Richard L Turner [fr.andreas at juno.com]
Subject: "Names"

Hello.

Just a brief word to all about that name thing. I hesitate to write to
you at your home address, Richard (may I call you by your first name?)
since we've never been introduced, and since it does concern us all.

Turner is a very, very common name, dear friends. There are Turners from
all over Great Britain and Ireland and thence, the world. Richard is a
darned common name, too. There's even a professional linguist named
Richard Turner, but he's neither of us... or is it you? You can find some
of his articles on the Web. (When I got the Internet I couldn't help but
look... never read them though, since it gave me the willies.) Also, and
much to my incovenience, there is a habitual traffic offender of the same
name who nearly cost me my driver's license. I have letters on file from
the States of Missouri and Florida to assure the State of Tennessee that
I have no outstanding warrants from them.

We could work out some sort of custody arrangement, maybe, and on odd
numbered days I could stay off-line and be very quiet, or maybe go by my
family's Gaelic name, Mac anTorunn. We came over from Arran about 250
years ago (don't confuse us with the Turners of Aberdeen), so the old
name will need a bit of dusting and polishing.

Slainte mhaith!
+Fr Andreas Richard Turner.

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk]

Well, I didn't bat an eyelid at it myself, Richard - the middle initial "L"
or the "Fr. Andreas" seem to be sufficient as distinguishing markers. Or
this may just be what comes of living in Wales for years, which is full of
people with identical names (hence the custom of calling people by their
professions - not "Sam Pritchard, Sam Pritchard &c, but Sam Post, Sam Tân
&c).

Perhaps if it's not clear which Richard is being quoted in a submission I
could append a note making it clear. But we have a saying in Scots, "Ye'r
feared o the day ye never saw!" - i.e. we might as well wait and see if
there is any confusion before we start worrying about it!

Sandy Fleming (who once shared an office with three Judiths and six Steves!)
http:\\www.fleimin.demon.co.uk