LL-L: "Names" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 29.AUG.1999 (01)

Ted Harding Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Sun Aug 29 08:26:04 UTC 1999

> From: Richard Turner [rturner at retemail.es]
> Subject: "Names"
>
> Perhaps we could revert to a medieval precedent and call each other
> according to where we are from. I live in Valladolid, Spain and would
> be happy to style myself "Richard of Valladolid". Not of course, that I
> make any claims to noble origins!

Or, of course, use a trade soubriquet, as was common and gave rise to
many surnames.

Back in the Cold War days, Igor was called up into the Soviet Army and
sent to Spy School. He completed his training in a specially constructed
model of a small Welsh town, where he learned the layout and the local
speech, and what he was to do. The final instructions were: You will be
taken by submarine to the South Welsh coast and landed on the shore.
>From there you walk the following route ... and then you will arrive
at the town called ****. Enter this from the South, and when you come to
the seventh house on the right in the main street knock on the door.
When the man comes to the door, ask him if he is "Dai Jones" and if he
says "Yes" then give him the password, which is "Swansea Bay is frozen
over".

So Igor did all that, came to the seventh house on the right, and knocked;
and when the man came to the door Igor asked:

"Dai Jones?"
"Yes"
"Swansea Bay is frozen over"
"Oh, you've come to the wrong house. I'm Dai Jones Bread.
 It's Dai Jones Spy you want, he lives next door."

I've been away in Prague for a bit (having a great time), but it's
good to be back reading you all again.

Best wishes,
Ted the Sums.

Date: 29-Aug-99                                       Time: 09:26:04