LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 10.DEC.1999 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 10 23:10:50 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 10.DEC.1999 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Roger P. G. Thijs [roger.thijs at village.uunet.be]
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 10.DEC.1999 (01) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
> Subject: Etymology
>
> Dear Lowlanders,
>
> Does any of you know the etymology of the Low Saxon (Low German) noun
> _Pracher_ (spelled _Pracha_ in Mennonite Low Saxon)?  Its meaning is
> 'poor/destitute person', 'beggar', 'vagabond'.

> _Prachervolk_ 'community of destitute people'

 I don't know if it is related but in my Limburgian I associate Brakkevolk
with gipsy's, people who live travelling in wagons. Brak:
Wooden contruction, more like an old stable in bad shape than an house.

It my be etymologically related to military "barracks", but we use "kazerne"
for that.

Barrak most probably is rather comming from the French "baraque"
My Robert Etymologique gives for baraque:
famille populaire d'un mot prélat. "barrum" et de son dérivé "barritum"
... esp."barraca" "hutte de torchis", dér de "barro" "limon": barrum

Regards,

Roger