LL-L: "Grammar" LOWLANDS-L, 23.DEC.1999 (01) [E/S]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 23 17:29:08 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 23.DEC.1999 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: john feather <johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Grammar

John M Tait wrote:
>The comparison wi London mynds me on the 'youse' form - this is uised in
England as weel, is it no? No ti mention in Bugsy Malone...<

I am not familiar with "youse" in BE, unless "B" stands for "Brooklyn".

Something which is quite common in demotic London English (and perhaps more
widely) is the use of "us" (or schwa+s) for "me", especially after "give":
"Give us a kiss", "Give us a look at your (news)paper". I think it sometimes
has the effect of softening the imperative so that it becomes more of a
request.

John Feather johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

John wrote:

> Something which is quite common in demotic London English (and perhaps more
> widely) is the use of "us" (or schwa+s) for "me", especially after "give":
> "Give us a kiss", "Give us a look at your (news)paper". I think it sometimes
> has the effect of softening the imperative so that it becomes more of a
> request.

I, too, first encountered this in the speech of Londoners.  I have also heard
Australians use "us" for "I" in connection with "to give."  Is this not also
"typical" of Scots, and does it not go beyond "to give" ("gi' us"?) there?

I wonder what the origin of this this.  Surely it's not the "royal we."  Could
it originally have been a type of mocking of the "royal we" in the "lower"
classes, a fad that never really went away?  (I guess I kind of like this idea.)

Best regards,