LL-L: "Translation" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 13.JUL.1999 (01)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 13 15:01:12 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 13.JUL.1999 (01) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Jason Childers [jchilders at mindex.com]
Subject: Translation requested

Hi all!

I was just browsing the United Nations site yesterday, and I came across
the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.  Big whoop, one might say, it's
one of their main sections.  But I came across it while trying to find out
about the progress of non-governing territories.  I actually came across
the Chamorro version (the native language of Guam).  I was intrigued by
this, so I went to the Declaration page and found that there were over 250
translations of the document.

For European languages, there were Abkhaz, Albanian, Asturian, Armenian,
Azeri (in Cyrillic and Latin script), Basque, Belarusian, Bosnian (in
Cyrillic and Latin), Breton, Bulgarian, Catalan, Corsican, Croatian,
Danish, Estonian, Færøese, Finnish, French, Friulian, Galician, Georgian,
German, Greek, Hungarian, Icelanidc, Irish Greek, Italian, Latin (2
versions), Latvian, Lithuanian, Luxembourgish, Macedonian, Maltese,
Norwegian (Bokmål and Nynorsk), Occitan Auvergnat, Occitan Languedocien,
Picard, Polish, Portuguese, Rhaeto-Romance, Romani (2 versions), Romanian,
Sami (unspesified), Sardinian, Scots Gaelic, Serbian (in Latin and
Cyrillic), Slovak, Slovenian, Sorbian, Spanish, Swedish, Tatar, Turkish,
Ukrainian, Vlach, Walloon, Welsh, and Yiddish listed.

But only four Lowlands languages: Afrikaans, Dutch, English, and Frisian.
I don't know which dialect of Frisian is there, so you all will have to
check.

I found this odd that they would have versions such as Picard and Sorbian,
but not Czech or Scots translations.  So I went through again, and found
their request page for translations:
http://www.unhchr.ch/udhr/miscinfo/submit.html .

Anyone who is up for the challenge should look into it.  (I myself would
like to see a Scots version, so I can practice.)  It also, I would think,
be a good way to keep records of a language before it died out (not like
ours are going to do that anytime soon, but others might).

Of course, this request is not just limited to Lowlands.  If any of you all
know any other languages non-listed languages, they would appreciate them.

If this has already been discussed lately (I hadn't noticed, but I could
have missed it), forgive me, but I'm very interested in the subject, and I
became very enthusiastic.

Enjoy, whoever takes this on.

Yours, Jason

Jason Childers