LL-L: "Translation" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 16.JUL.1999 (01)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 16 14:45:32 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 16.JUL.1999 (01) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Brandsma [brandsma at twi.tudelft.nl]
Subject: Translation

>From: Jason Childers [jchilders at mindex.com]
>Subject: Translation requested
>
>But only four Lowlands languages: Afrikaans, Dutch, English, and Frisian.
>I don't know which dialect of Frisian is there, so you all will have to
>check.

Hi Jason,

Thx for the interesting site: it's always nice to have one text in more
versions to compare languages..
The Frisian used there is (predictably, I suppose) standard Westerlauwer
Frisian. They do mention that Frisian is spoken in Germany as well, but
they don't mention that these versions are quite different from
Westerlauwer Frisian. That's probably because most Frisian speakers in the
Netherlands have never heard Saterlandic or North Frisian, and don't know
how different it is. (Saterlandic is very much easier to follow than North
Frisian, but still quite different, also due to its being more conservative
than WF generally, and the strong Low Saxon influence. The Danish
influences on North Frisian make it harder still..) Most people just know
"o yes, Frisian is also spoken in Germany", as this enhances the status of
their own language.. More correct would be: other languages descended from
Old Frisian are spoken in Germany, or something similar..
Maybe it would be a good idea if some Saterlandic or North Frisian version
were to be submitted to the UN...

Henno Brandsma