LL-L: "Language confusion" [D/E] LOWLANDS-L, 27.JUL.1999 (02)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 27 15:57:30 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 27.JUL.1999 (02) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: john feather [johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk]
Subject: Languageconfusion

Pepijn wrote:

>>Wat ze in Straatsburg met 'Vlaams' bedoelen is Standaardnederlands
('Algemeen Beschaafd Nederlands'), maar
uitgesproken met een Vlaams accent. Net zoals mijn Nederlands
Standaardnederlands is, maar eveneens met een zuidelijk (Brabants) accent.<<

I should be grateful for clarification of this. In my work I have translated
serious articles from Belgian newspapers which contain
idioms which do not appear in the Van Dale Groot Woordenboeken, either N-N
or N-E. I have had to translate them word for word into French and look them
up in a French dictionary. Thus the differences between ABN and "Vlaams"
seem to me to be greater than a matter of "accent", or even an occasional
dialect usage.

I'm not entirely sure that I understand the whole context of the original
point. Is it being suggested that Vlaams should be an official EC language,
or that it should be one of the working languages? (I have read that 40% of
Brussels bureaucrats are there to provide translation and interpretation
services. The numbers are as low as this because the Irish, for instance, do
not claim the right to use Erse/Irish/Irish Gaelic and some countries where
English is well understood (eg Denmark) waive the right to use their own,
official language in technical committees.)

Pepijn also said:
>>De uitspraak (toegeschreven aan Max Weinrich) dat een taal een dialect met
vloot en leger is, vind ik in
dit verband nog altijd ijzersterk.<<

Since I didn't know the name I looked Weinrich up in my Oxford Dictionary of
Quotations - no sign of him or his wonderful phrase!

John
johnfeather at freeserve.co.uk

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]

Pepijn and John wrote:

> >>De uitspraak (toegeschreven aan Max Weinrich) dat een taal een dialect met
> vloot en leger is, vind ik in
> dit verband nog altijd ijzersterk.<<
>
> Since I didn't know the name I looked Weinrich up in my Oxford Dictionary of
> Quotations - no sign of him or his wonderful phrase!

Might this be Max WEINREICH?