Subject: LL-L: "Pronouns" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 05.JUN.1999 (02)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at geocities.com
Sat Jun 5 22:35:30 UTC 1999

From: "Sandy Fleming" <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Pronouns

> From: Floor van Lamoen <f.v.lamoen at wxs.nl>
> Subject: Pronouns
>
>> From:  Brandsma <brandsma at twi.tudelft.nl>
>> Subject: Pronouns
> <...>
>> >What about the spread of object to subject forms for other personal
>> >pronouns (or vice versa - but it seems to be mainly in that
>> >direction)? (I
>> >know of Dutch 3rd person pl. ze-hun ('they'-'them') being replaced by
>> >just hun in the spoken language and of the similar case in
>> >Swedish, where de-dem is being replaced by just dem.)

Also occurs in English local speech -- best encapsulated in an anecdote
I once heard on BBC Radio:

Man waiting at bus stop behind two teenage girls, in village in remote
rural Oxfordshire. On the other side of the road, a woman passes and
as she walks she looks across at the bus stop.

Man hears one girl say to the other:

  "Why be her looking at we? Us don't know she".

Cheers,
Ted.

Date: 05-Jun-99                                       Time: 11:03:18

 * Commands for automated functions (including "signoff lowlands-l") are to
   be sent to <listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org> or at