LL-L: "Verbs" [E/S] LOWLANDS-L, 11.JUN.1999 (03)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at geocities.com
Fri Jun 11 14:30:05 UTC 1999

From: "Sandy Fleming" <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Verbs

Ian wrote:

> I rather think the "bade" form is a form of false analogy from
> "forbid"-"forbade", but have no evidence to hand to back this up.

The SND lists it as being from Old English "bad", past tense of "bidan", "to
stay".

Sandy Fleming
http:\\www.fleimin.demon.co.uk

----------

From: "Urban Lindqvist" <urban.lindqvist at telia.com>

> From: Edwin Michael Alexander <edsells at wwwebcity.com>
> Subject: Verbs
>
> What you call the "dental suffix marker" is the also the mark of the oft
> encountered past passive participle in Sanskrit, commonly known to
students
> as the "ta" participle, and undoubtedly shares the same IE origin.
> [---] In the case of the "ta" participle,
> this form was often used somewhat the way it is used in the Germanic
> languagues, e.g. tenedam uttam [tena idam uttam]- "this was said by him"
> literally "by him this [was] said".

This suffix corresponds to the suffix of the *past participles* of weak
verbs in Germanic, but the dental suffix of the preterites has (or might
have) a completely different history. Although there are explanations of the
dental preterite involving the past participle, it's difficult to see how
the past participle itself could be the explanation.

> The Sanskrit present participle marker "mana" survives in the
> Romance languages, such as in French "-ment".

I'm afraid not. Since the Indo-European middle participle did not survive in
Latin (with the possible exception of a few well-hidden traces), it's rather
unlikely that a reflex of it would turn up in the Romance languages. I'm not
sure which "-ment" you have in mind, but the two I can think of have
different histories.
One of them is a double suffix, i.e. the suffix -men- enlarged with the
suffix -tu-. Cf. the Latin doublets augmen/augmentum, fragmen/fragmentum.
This also happens to other nasal stems, e.g. unguen/unguentum (French
onguent).
The other one is the adverbial "-ment", the origin of which is phrases (in
the ablative case) like "devota mente" ('with a devout mind'), "clara mente"
('with a clear mind'). The construction came to be reinterpreted as
describing the way in which something is done rather than just the state of
mind of the person doing something, whereby constructions like "lenta mente"
became possible (> French "lentement"). Spanish is interesting in this
context: the historically unjustified repetition of "ment(e)" which we find
in French ("lentement et sûrement") does not occur here: "lenta y
seguramente".

Urban

PS. Although my post is clearly off-topic, I thought I should reply to this.
Since I'm pretty new on the list, I'm not sure where you draw the line. If
I've crossed it -- I apologize.