Subject: LL-L: "Verbs" [E/S] LOWLANDS-L, 12.JUN.1999 (01)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at geocities.com
Sat Jun 12 18:27:00 UTC 1999

From: glent at troi.csw.net (Lee)
Subject: Verbs

>From: R. F. Hahn
>Subject: Verbs
>
>Re: Ian Parsley's contribution about verb forms
>
>I was struck by the difference between American and non-American English
>regarding the verb 'sneak':
>
>American:  sneak  -  snuck  -  snuck
>Non-American:  sneak  -  sneaked  -  sneaked

Hey Ron, I've used the word sneaked before and I've heard it used many
times, even in American movies, before!  You are right that the word snuck
is used a lot in America, but snuck just doesn't look good, does it?  A
dinna dout that't daes!  No way Hosea!  No word looks good that has 'nuck'
as part of it's letter-scape! I like sneaked better.

Dooglas--the American mutt: Austrian, Scot, French, Irish, wi a touch o
American Indian--all in respective order! (laughs)

Thats all folks!

 * Commands for automated functions (including "signoff lowlands-l") are to
   be sent to <listservX-Mozilla-Status: 0009.org> or at