LL-L: "What does it mean?" (was "Pronouns") [E] LOWLANDS-L, 18.JUN.1999 (04)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at geocities.com
Fri Jun 18 17:09:14 UTC 1999

From: "Bryan E. Schulz" <bryans at northnet.net>
Subject: Pronouns

> Sandy Fleming wrote:
>
> >Goodbye Joe, me gotta go, me-o my-o,
> >Me gotta go pole me a pirogue down the bayou...
>
> What is the meaning of the second line? (just curious...)
>
> Jan De Craemere.

Jan:
A piroque is a flat bottom boat similar to a canoe.  These are common in
the southern U.S. where there is shallow and slow moving
water(bayou(sic)).  People 'pole' these boats by standing in them and
using a "pushpole" to move it forward.

Bryan E. Schulz

----------

From: Edwin Michael Alexander <edsells at wwwebcity.com>

>>Goodbye Joe, me gotta go, me-o my-o,
>>Me gotta go pole me a pirogue down the bayou...
>
>What is the meaning of the second line? (just curious...)

"I have to go and pole (push the boat forward using a pole) a pirogue
(small narrow boat like a canoe) down the bayou (like a swampy delta area,
a marshy area at the end of a tributary to a bay or lake)."

Ed Alexander
JAG REALTY INC.
80 Jones Street
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8R 1Y1
Pager: 905-545-0177
Fax: 905-525-6671
Email: edsells at wwwebcity.com
Jag Realty Inc.: http://www.deerhurst.com/jag/
Ontario Ultra Series:  http://www.connection.com/~esmond/ouser.html

 * Commands for automated functions (including "signoff lowlands-l") are to
   be sent to <listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org> or at