Subject: LL-L: "What does it mean?" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 19.JUN.1999 (03)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at geocities.com
Sun Jun 20 02:00:40 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 19.JUN.1999 (03) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: lone at studentergaarden.dk (Lone Elisabeth Olesen)
Subject: What does it mean?

Dear Lowlanders...

>From: "Sandy Fleming" <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>
>Subject: Pronouns
>
>> From: Jan De Craemere <rycobel at compuserve.com>
> Subject: Pronouns
>>
>>Sandy Fleming wrote:
>>
>>>Goodbye Joe, me gotta go, me-o my-o,
>>Me gotta go pole me a pirogue down the bayou...
>>
>>What is the meaning of the second line? (just curious...)
>
>A "bayou" is one of those Louisiana marshes.
>
>A "pirogue" is a boat designed for fishing in these marshes - it's
>flat-bottomed and lies low on the water.

It warms my heart when the songs of Hank Williams are remembered! But I
never knew the meaning of these words either, thanks for the explanation
:-)
I first listened to Hank Williams when I was learning English and I found a
lot of examples of "spoken language" in the songs he sang:

"me and that sweet woman 's got a licence to fight" (the song "Mind Your
own Business")
This one really puzzled me, and it still does... It seems that the "me" is
left out of the phrase when he gets to the verb...

Another line that stays with me is this:

"Your daddy 's mad he 's done got peace,
you're gonna change or I'm a-gonna leave"
(From "You're Gonna Change")

Beyond all interpretations, it just sounds so good when it is sung....

... Picked guitar filled fruit jar and be gay-o,
son of a gun we'll have big fun on the bayou...

Greetings, Lone Olesen

 * Commands for automated functions (including "signoff lowlands-l") are to
   be sent to <listservX-Mozilla-Status: 0009.org> or at