LL-L: "Gothic" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 22.JUN.1999 (05)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at geocities.com
Tue Jun 22 18:08:34 UTC 1999

From: "john feather" <johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Gothic

Ron

I am a little unhappy about your correction.

There were no Belgians in the 16th century (Belgium wasn't invented then)
and I seem to recall that Crimean Gothic was recorded in the early 18th
century, though I can't lay my hands on a reference. The particular Goths
whose language we have in written form in the translation of the Bible
(preserved as the Codex Argenteus or Silbernbibel) made for them in around
350 CE by Bishop Ulfilas or Wulfila actually entered the Roman Empire in the
area of modern Romania for protection - to escape harassment by other Goths.

John
johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at geocities.com>
> Subject: Gothic
>
> I wrote:
>
> > Gothic is the best known representative of this now extinct East
Germanic

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at geocities.com>

John Feather wrote:

> and I seem to recall that Crimean Gothic was recorded in the early 18th
> century, though I can't lay my hands on a reference.

John, I also vaguely remembered reading something like that, but I withdrew it
because I was unable to verify it, i.e., forgot the source.  What you read most
often is that Gothic was extinct before the 18th century.

> There were no Belgians in the 16th century (Belgium wasn't invented then)

Oh, come on now!  Of course!  I guess most people on this list know that.  Sure,
I could have written something like "In the 16th century a visitor from what is
now Belgium ..."  (I hesitate to use "Flemish" because not all of Dutch-speaking
Belgium is Flemish, though the name is used loosely by many.)  Is a person from
the area of today's Belgium only a Belgian if he was born after the country was
founded?  Technically speaking maybe, but in the real world people are rarely
that fussy about it.  The Netherlands and Germany as we know them now did not
exist at that time either, and yet we refer to people from those areas at those
times as "Dutch" and "German," and we include people who are not ethnically
Dutch and German.

 * Commands for automated functions (including "signoff lowlands-l") are to
   be sent to <listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org> or at