LL-L: "Pronouns" (was "Gothic") [E] LOWLANDS-L, 23.JUN.1999 (04)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at geocities.com
Wed Jun 23 22:51:49 UTC 1999

From: PBarr21106 at aol.com
Subject: Gothic

In a message dated 6/23/99 7:32:23 PM, Joe Stromberg wrote:

<< The "it's between she and I" construction is unhappily very common and has
more to do with the failings of the very expensive but apparently
unproductive US educational system than with anyone's NZ origins and so
forth.  It may have something to do with Starr's Law (named for Ringo Starr)
- but I suppose we don't do politics on this list.>>

We do on the Foreign Language Teachers List and it gets pretty hot. BTW, that
irritating construction is found in and earlier than Shakespeare (I'll check
my Jespersen) and so probably isn't due to the crummy educational system I
work in.

PBarr21106 at aol.com    Pat Barrett

 * Commands for automated functions (including "signoff lowlands-l") are to
   be sent to <listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org> or at