LL-L: "Lowlands-L" (was "Morphology") [E] LOWLANDS-L, 29.JUN.1999 (01)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 29 15:38:30 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 29.JUN.1999 (01) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Ted Harding [Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk]
Subject: Morphology

> From: Roger Thijs <Roger.Thijs at village.uunet.be>
> Subject: Morphology
>
> Ik zie dat de accenten niet doorkomen, vandaar enige aanvullingen:
>>From: Roger Thijs <Roger.Thijs at village.uunet.be>
>>Subject: Morphology
>>
>>Ik heb altijd gedacht dat het suffix -um zoals in "Balticum" een
>>latijnse
>>oorsprong had. Tot mijn verbazing vind ik in het telefoonboek van
>>T=F3rshavn
> ----- To'rshavn
>> uitdrukkingen= als: - Postnummur
>> =ED
> ----- i'
>>F=F8royum
> ----- Fo/royum
>> Is dit een
>>verbuigingsvorm van
>>F=F8roya
> ----- Fo/roya
>> of is dit een latinisme van de zelfde soort als Balticum?

What seems to be happening here is that some messages are being sentout by
the LINGUIST mail server using:
   charset=US-ASCII, Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
while other are being sent with
   charset=iso-8859-1, Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

according to the mail headers.

There doesn't seem to be a pattern to this: of the messages which I have
kept since the changeover, 47 have been US-ACII/7bit (first 13 May,
last 27 June) and 23 have been iso-8859-1/8bit (first 12 May, last 25
June).

The iso-8859-1/8bit will peserve accented characters, the
US-ASCII/7bit will not.

It seems that, somewhere along the line, inthe latter case accented
characters get mangled by the dreaded "quoted-printabl" encoding (though
this encoding is never mentioned in the headers, which it should be ... ).

This gives rise to the transformations which Roger has noted above.

It may be that it depends on the setting of the originator's mail
software, so that a message originally in one of these stays that way;
or it may be that depends on which machine Ron does his moderating
and packaging on (I can't imagine that the List Server itself is
being fickle in this way).

Just to check: My own mailer is set for iso-8859-1/8bit, so if all goes
well I expect to see the accents when I get this message back.

So here they are:

  quoted-printable ED corresponds to í ({i'})
  quoted-printable F3 corresponds to ó ({o'})
  quoted printable F8 corresponds to ø ({o/})

Since part of the point of switching to the LINGUIST server was to
liberate our accents, I hope this wee tangle gets sorted out!
But at present I can't offer any clues which I can see from here
as to where it's happening.

Best wishes to all,
Ted.