LL-L: "Phonology" [E/LS] LOWLANDS-L, 06.MAY.1999 (01)

R. Hahn rhahn at u.washington.edu
Thu May 6 14:31:55 UTC 1999

 Do not send a request to the list or to the administrator unless there are
 genuine technical problems. Thanks.

From: Reiner Brauckmann <Reiner.Brauckmann at FernUni-Hagen.de>
Subject: Re: LL-L: "Phonology" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 05.MAY.1999 (02)

> I had mentioned that I noticed slight retroflexion in the speech of
> L{u"}bke.  Heinrich L{u"}bke (1894-1972), president of Germany
> 1959-1969 (and, poor thing, the butt of innumerable jokes, mostly of
> his own making, much like America's Dan Quail), was from Enkhausen
> in Sauerland (a lovely rural and resort area in
> North-Rhine-Westphalia on the Hessian border, somewhere in the
> middle between M{u"}nster, Dortmund, Bielefeld, G{o"}ttingen and
> Kassel).
 knapp richtig es auk vo"rbi.

Enkhausen liet bolle 6km in Westen van Arnsberg, hiett vandage viellichte
700 Inwuohners und en Lu"bke Museum. In Arnsberg resideiert siet de
Pru"ssentied de Regierungspra"sident. In fro"ggeren Jaohrhunnerden
geho"rte Arnsberg da"m Herzogtum Westphalen tau, de Inwuohners waoren
katholsch, ku"erden platt. De pru"ssken Verwaltungsl"ue waoren
Protestanten, ku"rden Haugdu"etsch. Man Lu"bke was katholschk.

 But apparently he lived in various parts of Westphalia
> most of his life.  He may have grown up with Sauerland Low Saxon.

dat's ne Tiedlang her, dao vertellden de Museumslu"e in TV dat eein of
annere van Lu"bke und Lu"bkes olle Schaulkameraoden ut ea"hr gemeinsame
Schaultied met ea"hm. Dao kam bi rut, dat sik Heinrich Lu"bke nich sau
richtig op dat Plattku"ern verstaohn hiett.

Gued gaohn
Reiner

 * Please submit contributions to <LOWLANDS-L at u.washington.edu>.
 * Commands for automated functions (including "unsubscribe
   lowlands-l") are to be sent to <listproc at lists.u.washington.edu>.
 * Postings are to be composed solely by means of characters within
   the US ASCII range, since characters outside this range cannot be
   read by the majority of subscribers. Characters outside the range
   ought to be represented differently (e.g., u" or ue for u-umlaut, or
   @ for schwa).